Third Party Press

2020 SOS show imperial report

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Was helping a lot of my dealer friends setting up at the show of shows today in Kentucky had a chance to look at some of the Imperial rifles that were up for sale. I saw a couple 1871 long rifles, no carbines that I have seen yet. Very few gewehr 98 unfortunately but two did come up for sale that were interesting. I did not get a chance to buy them one of them was an erfurt 1916 sterngewehr and 1916 kornbusch that feel into the e block. Only one kar98a so far and only one kar88 carbine too.

I did see one dreyse rifle and a carbine for sale as well.

Will give you guys a follow-up report I'm sure other stuff will be up for sale tomorrow it's an exciting show.

Jordan, I found the report interesting, continue it as you go through the days of the show. We often see similar reports for the 98k side of things, but rarely the view from the Imperial side.. also, try and get some details on the 71's and G98/98a, nothing too detailed, but maker-dates, odd features or thoughts.

Well this is the last day of the show, for me it's been a great week glad to see everybody of course every year. Still my favorite show but wanted to give the community here a nice collector report.

As for earlier Imperial stuff:

One dreyse needle rifle
One dreyse needle carbine and matching
Few 1871 rifles either Amberg or spandau
Two Turk Gew88 rifles
Two kar88 carbines made in 1891 by the suhl makers
1916 kornbusch in the e block Gew98
1916 erfurt sterngewehr Gew98
1915 DWM Gew98
1917 WOK Turkish marked
Three or four fake Gew98 snipers
1917 kar98a erfurt
As for accessories I didn't find any muzzle covers or slings but there was a lot of bayonets at the show of course.

Still I had a pretty good haul the 1916 erfurt sterngewehr I got from my buddy Mike and the 1912 kar98a erfurt carbine I got from a friend. Basically the only thing I actually bought at the show were small deals but still I enjoy seeing everything and seeing everyone.

Attachments

• 20200222_213531.jpg
    20200222_213531.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200222_213521.jpg
    20200222_213521.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 81
Enjoyed your report. Looks like you did OK for yourself. Any offerings in the 98k department worth mentioning?

That M41 was very nice and untouched! A couple others were a depot Steyr 88, and a Suhl Kar71. A great show to look around, not too many that you couldn’t live without though. Looking forward to next year!

Walked around for four hours and had a great time catching up with Milton , Kish , Petrie , Eisel , and a couple others I have not seen in ions. Never was able to catch up with Bugan at his table. Was looking for a 71 bayonet but did not see one. No parts of merit to note. Fairly small crowd anymore. Seems fewer and fewer are getting out and getting into the hobby with all the fraud and high prices.
Two of the humped up gew98 snipers were of the same pattern as the one I lost...one probably would have made a good shooter , but at up to $6500 no dice. Spied several guild rifles with scopes...but nosebleed pricing on them too. Did'nt even bother with NGD , I'll get ammo and components at knob creek in April.

Good observations Bill, I think the hobby is on a decline also, the fraud and high prices are certainly a part, but also a lack of interest in WWI and older military rifles in general. Movies and books are so low quality today, there is little to drive interest among younger viewers. That and look at young people today, sure with every generation the elders speak of the decline of morals, ethics and common decency of the newer generations (this is as old as humanity...), but this country is changing and it is changing fast and it isn't for the good.

Walked around for four hours and had a great time catching up with Milton , Kish , Petrie , Eisel , and a couple others I have not seen in ions. Never was able to catch up with Bugan at his table. Was looking for a 71 bayonet but did not see one. No parts of merit to note. Fairly small crowd anymore. Seems fewer and fewer are getting out and getting into the hobby with all the fraud and high prices.
Two of the humped up gew98 snipers were of the same pattern as the one I lost...one probably would have made a good shooter , but at up to $6500 no dice. Spied several guild rifles with scopes...but nosebleed pricing on them too. Did'nt even bother with NGD , I'll get ammo and components at knob creek in April.

Glad you were able to attend the show Bill. Jeff wanted to introduce me too you but he came later in the afternoon on Saturday. I did take him over to Scott's table where he bought two really nice bayonets. Picked out a nice Sawback for him looks like I got him hooked on Imperial bayonets now! As always Richard is always great to see always has some of the funniest stories you were ever here and always as cool stuff. Larry I did not get to talk to him very much but I did thank him for selling me the Navy Gewehr back in the fall. He was too busy walking the show extremely quick, buying and finding stuff that guy never sits still.

I did want to mention my buddy Mike Foley noticed something I have never seen at the SOS show. Empty tables that show was always sold out a year in advance that was a first for me. But alot of great collectors have passed on that did attend the show like my buddy John and Joe. Of course the late Craig Brown and Hugh Brook. Not to mention many others that retired from the hobby and set all their stuff to auction or online sales only.

Good observations Bill, I think the hobby is on a decline also, the fraud and high prices are certainly a part, but also a lack of interest in WWI and older military rifles in general. Movies and books are so low quality today, there is little to drive interest among younger viewers. That and look at young people today, sure with every generation the elders speak of the decline of morals, ethics and common decency of the newer generations (this is as old as humanity...), but this country is changing and it is changing fast and it isn't for the good.

Paul ; For sure a huge amount of 'youth' have zero clue or interest in history , collectibles or spending on anything but "good times". I pulled my son out of local schooling 4 years ago and wife with the help of a group has been home schooling as pooblik skrules are pathetic and rife with PC goober shite.
Generations of my sons age are likely to be "the sewer generation" as higher cognitive thinking is thoroughly discouraged by pooblik edjumakashun.
It is sad to see at shows like this the complete lack of youth with interest with few exceptions. And the dealer mentality in flipping stuff for profit above all else. My buddy J. Petrie has noted the rise of extreme fraud that is of high ability of the recent years.... himself a collector of 45 + years is at the point he is not even looking at a lot of pieces due to this. He noted pieces of late that were known to him to be bad that are humped now and all but a quite advanced person would be fooled. Almost like dealing with high end friggin art anymore and a myriad of experts opinions - all with skin in the game it seems.

Glad you were able to attend the show Bill. Jeff wanted to introduce me too you but he came later in the afternoon on Saturday. I did take him over to Scott's table where he bought two really nice bayonets. Picked out a nice Sawback for him looks like I got him hooked on Imperial bayonets now! As always Richard is always great to see always has some of the funniest stories you were ever here and always as cool stuff. Larry I did not get to talk to him very much but I did thank him for selling me the Navy Gewehr back in the fall. He was too busy walking the show extremely quick, buying and finding stuff that guy never sits still.

I did want to mention my buddy Mike Foley noticed something I have never seen at the SOS show. Empty tables that show was always sold out a year in advance that was a first for me. But alot of great collectors have passed on that did attend the show like my buddy John and Joe. Of course the late Craig Brown and Hugh Brook. Not to mention many others that retired from the hobby and set all their stuff to auction or online sales only.

Have not seen mike in several years. Was not the biggest fan of Mr Brock. The internet auctions have killed a lot of collecting. Loads of "investors" and deep pocketed armchair commando collectors have driven it all way up $$$$. Across the board shows are in decline for attendance.... it's been hitting all the shows I am aware of in my AO for a couple years - especially Knob Creek . Took several year for Craigs stuff to move at auctions I was told. Larry got John Wall's collection and still has pieces yet to be sold from it. Larry is a motivated jarhead from hell...he won't stop moving until the shovel dirt on him...and even then....
The SOS show used to be very busy up until Saturday late when it closed. Now it's pretty much dead by 1pm with gobs of tables cleared. Used to love to go there Thursday and Fridays...but it got to be a rat race and getting in the NGD show then became real expensive with that dick-son wanting filthy lucre to get in early. Look at the average guy coming in - $10 to $12 parking , $14 or more to get into NGD , $10 or more to get into SOS , then the gas to get there... and maybe lost time to even be able to go. Couple that with nosebleed pricing and trying not to get screwed with humped junk adds up to "why go ". Not too many young budding collectors can pony up all the funds to make it come together . It's so much different than it used to be.

Sadly shows are in big decline I hate to say. I remember first going to the SOS show in 2012 that show was huge walking in this year you noticed it was way smaller. Of course you also started noticing the same dealers had some of the same stuff on their tables for sale as the year before. Hell did anyone see the $10,000 sgx45 S84/98 bayonet? Rare bayonet but easily faked and for $10,000 no way. I can't tell you how much SS stuff I saw and hardly any of it sold. People were just too afraid. My buddy Frank had a decent worn SS helmet on his table that he would have taken $2,000 for but no one wanted it. That just shows you where the SS collecting market is.

Probably one of the coolest K98k rifles I found was an AX41 depot rework but not for $3200. From talking with many collectors that attended the show they went home with more money in the pocket then what they spent.

Sadly shows are in big decline I hate to say. I remember first going to the SOS show in 2012 that show was huge walking in this year you noticed it was way smaller. Of course you also started noticing the same dealers had some of the same stuff on their tables for sale as the year before. Hell did anyone see the $10,000 sgx45 S84/98 bayonet? Rare bayonet but easily faked and for $10,000 no way. I can't tell you how much SS stuff I saw and hardly any of it sold. People were just too afraid. My buddy Frank had a decent worn SS helmet on his table that he would have taken $2,000 for but no one wanted it. That just shows you where the SS collecting market is.

Probably one of the coolest K98k rifles I found was an AX41 depot rework but not for $3200. From talking with many collectors that attended the show they went home with more money in the pocket then what they spent.

Totally agree. I started with the OGCA in 94-95. Was quite nice that they did the L'ville show and did the drawbridge inn/buttermilk pike show twice a year. When they quit that northern KY show and went totally to OHIO other than SOS , I gave up on the OGCA. Twenty years ago a lot of stuff could be collected at very reasonable prices , and even a working class novice could build up a fair collection. Not possible today.
Factor in a lot of shitbirds like Jack Hundley to name one whom peddle boinkered with Nazi regalia & guns etc etc just causes irreparable harm to the hobby. Anyone remember that old fart fred roever ?. .... talk about a peddler of boinkered with stuff !!!!!. I could name drop a lot of peddlers of fraud still at it....but it won't serve any good . A lot of the high end collectors keep the devil close...so they still can pick up good pieces from the peddlers of mirth. Same guys gave up criticizing any fake rifles and snipers put before them...could cause bad karma from the guys doing it whom they still relied on to get stuff they wanted from them. With the money so high in it anymore...the fraud so rampant... why blow a load of money an humpster stuff...why take that chance ?. It's taken all the fun out of it.

Good grief, my first 98k was a Fred Roever "restoration" (as he called it) that I purchased 15-20yrs ago. Definitely learned my lesson!

Dang, ya’ll are making me depressed. I have’t gone to a Louisville Show, but my other collector friends do every year. I always wanted to, but I’m re-thinking it. They always say it’s the best show you will ever go to. Guess this one is starting to go out of style too and will soon disappear before long. The show I used to go to, look forward to, etc. was Dallas Market Hall. That one fell in January to I think different people running it and is pretty much done away with now. Like you all said; too much fraud, too much money to get anything decent, pay to park, pay to get in, humped crap everywhere, huge distances to travel, gas, lodging, dinners.....and, the new “sewer generation” (best description yet of these turds coming of age) that’s also the “Lego generation” who simply go on line and get parts to assemble modern stuff (AR’s, Glocks). Nothing wrong with that, but they are all pretty much not into our stuff that we collect. Militaria stuff, I pretty much steer well clear of due to all the fake crap out there. Unless I just “know”, or get several opinions, I’m not buying. So, same mentality is probably going around with other people looking at the stuff we collect. Just a damn shame! Guess I need to find something else that I would like, but I don’t know what. I’ve been interested in guns and buying since around ‘91 or ‘92. Guess I’ll just get the rest of what’s been on my want list and call it quits. I’ve got a few more things yet to get. A couple of them are a little hard to find, but most aren’t.

Read all the posts with great interest. Makes me wonder too concerning the future of our hobby among collectors. Sounds like the younger generation does not have the interest we do here in older military arms or related collectibles. Most Gun Shows I have attended the last few years have had few "younger" people in attendance. Agree too that the steep prices and outright fakery have had a detrimental impact on our hobby.

Well I'm at least happy to have picked up an awesome erfurt sterngewehr off my buddy Mike as well as the kar98a carbine off another buddy.

Military Rifle Journal
Back