Third Party Press

2020 SOS show imperial report

Dang, ya’ll are making me depressed. I have’t gone to a Louisville Show, but my other collector friends do every year. I always wanted to, but I’m re-thinking it. They always say it’s the best show you will ever go to. Guess this one is starting to go out of style too and will soon disappear before long. The show I used to go to, look forward to, etc. was Dallas Market Hall. That one fell in January to I think different people running it and is pretty much done away with now. Like you all said; too much fraud, too much money to get anything decent, pay to park, pay to get in, humped crap everywhere, huge distances to travel, gas, lodging, dinners.....and, the new “sewer generation” (best description yet of these turds coming of age) that’s also the “Lego generation” who simply go on line and get parts to assemble modern stuff (AR’s, Glocks). Nothing wrong with that, but they are all pretty much not into our stuff that we collect. Militaria stuff, I pretty much steer well clear of due to all the fake crap out there. Unless I just “know”, or get several opinions, I’m not buying. So, same mentality is probably going around with other people looking at the stuff we collect. Just a damn shame! Guess I need to find something else that I would like, but I don’t know what. I’ve been interested in guns and buying since around ‘91 or ‘92. Guess I’ll just get the rest of what’s been on my want list and call it quits. I’ve got a few more things yet to get. A couple of them are a little hard to find, but most aren’t.

I got a laugh on your post . I run into some 'dorks' from time to time that talk about "building AR's" like they are some gunsmith. But when they have zero problems they come to me and I show them why their lego block put togethers have not been torqued properly , why they have defective and or worn out bits etc etc. I built three retro AR's - M16A1 clones ( what I went thru boot with and was issued until they went uber stupid A2 ) . Me and my son shoot them often and it's odd that some jackarses need uber goopity powerful scopes to do Iron site work given the ranges. Before my father passed I wrenched apart and rebarreled alot of those import gew98 & 98k's that had zero collector value.He loved making deer rifles and got a blast watching salvage armorers and like valuable parts from those clunkers. Made a lot of deer rifles in various calibers. After my dad passed...no fun in it anymore and gave away all the smithy tools. It's worth it for you to do the show before it goes the way of the do do bird...if anything to meet some of the old salts and find that little tidbit the internet hasn't got yet. I live close to Loserville so it's not a big deal for me and gives the wife an excuse to go to a good eyetie restaurant. Do things Now you may regret by not being able to do later.

Military Rifle Journal
Back