Third Party Press

bcd 41 for dicussion

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
Now that it's over I'd like to see others thoughts on this bloodbath. I already have a pretty strong opinion on the piece itself since Dave posted the link on his site a week and a half? ago. I think it's a good example for newer guys to look over and see what's what.

As for the awkshun to me it looks like the last legit bidder was 'VELOCITYWORKS' at $1805. I don't know how someone like 'BlackCat133' then jumps in at $3100 after a shill feeding frenzy? Can you search based on bid count? A car auction site uses that tactic with a couple catchy slogans to get more bidders interested in lots that have a lot of bidding action or watchers.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/856956321

Stock looks messed with and the handguard looks off to me.... almost doesn't match and fit properly?

And as usual, even if it was 100% correct, it's still not worth over 3K.

bcd 41 marks

kinda off the main topic, but can anyone tell more about one of the barrel marks? pic 39/43 show left side of receiver & a bit of the barrel. I think it’s “bys######avk” w/3 e/13s & a maker’s logo (2nd in line after 1st e/at I have’t run acorss, looks like a shield or province border w/starburst or shot coming out of it.....

TIA

Looks like an asterisk almost. If you think of each acceptance (e/13 in this case) being for a certain step in the finishing process, a rework was required between the 1st and 2nd acceptance. I'm pretty sure... :facepalm:

Barrel is Ruhrstahl, original barrel, code probably reads avk (low 100's lot) 41 bys e/13 x3, could vary some especially lot, but low - mid 100's are common.

Stock should have external markings, this is true even in the m-block, should be externally serialed and RS the typical acceptance pattern. Even when they drop RS acceptance in the o-p blocks the external serial remains well into 1942.

Even if it were right, and it isn't, $3000 is quite mad, this is not a rare rifle, nor is it especially interesting. The o-p blocks have interesting characteristics, a period of change and quite elusive, but even they are not worth such an outlay....

Looks like an asterisk almost. If you think of each acceptance (e/13 in this case) being for a certain step in the finishing process, a rework was required between the 1st and 2nd acceptance. I'm pretty sure... :facepalm:

It is an asterisk, more common with the asterisk than w/o. Some theories revolving around the purpose but probably related to the acceptance process it follows. Kind of like an C/RC, Ruhrstahl was one of the main barrel makers (and steel providers for others), probably the most important of the firms that made barrels.

..Stock should have external markings, this is true even in the m-block, should be externally serialed and RS the typical acceptance pattern. Even when they drop RS acceptance in the o-p blocks the external serial remains well into 1942.

Ding ding ding.. That's my thought exactly. To the details you pointed out. It's NOT the right stock IMHO.

Military Rifle Journal
Back