Third Party Press

Bayonets

biggen8t8

When it comes to bayonets, does year or manufacturer or both, determine their collectibility or desirability? I have inherited my dad’s collection and am in the process of categorizing them, are there years or manufacturers to be on the look out for? Thanks fo any opinions or thoughts. I’m guessing there’s 50+ bayonets.

Yes to all of your questions. Condition is a big factor as well. You have come to the right place to learn about what you have.There are some (if not all) of the most knowledgeable bayonet guys in the world at this forum. For further questions and/or posts, go to the Bayonets and Accessories sub forum.
Welcome to the forum. Stay and learn about your father`s collection. Be ready to post pics of your bayonets, we are all bayonet voyeurs here.:biggrin1:

Just to a piggyback on grimlin13's excellent response ..... One of the biggest issues to consider regarding these bayonets are matching numbers. Do the serial numbers on the bayonet match those of the scabbard? A second factor which speaks to condition is blade sharpening. These bayonets were factory finished without a sharpened edge. Some pieces were certainly period sharpened in the field but that is not the norm. Both of these issues will factor into the desirability and value of your bayonets. Collectable condition matching pieces with unsharpened blades will always be the most collectable regardless of maker and date. In fact, many collectors are only interested in purchasing bayonets in this condition. My thoughts only ....

Everything Slash said, plus for God`s sakes DO NOT attempt to clean any of your bayonets (yet). There is a method to cleaning if needed. Never use steel wool or any type of abrasive, i.e,.sandpaper, emery cloth,etc. A lot of the time, a wipe down with a clean cloth and a light coat of oil on the metal is all that is needed. Any time you handle your bayonets be sure to wipe finger prints off. The oils in your skin can eat through the blueing and cause corrosion. I wear powder free vinyl gloves for my S84/98 III bayonets and white cotton gloves with my KS98 (dress) bayonets. You can read about or ask for advice on cleaning and preservation. Don`t be afraid to ask questions, there are no stupid questions.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the answers. My old man had an eye back in the day for matching bayonets, among other things. I think the 10-12 I've checked so far are matching. Couple more questions-what am I looking for as far as being sharpened? What is the best kind of oil to wipe them down with?

Can`t wait to see these up close to see what you have. Also a good collection of frogs, post pics of them as well, if you will.

Military Rifle Journal
Back