Third Party Press
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CE 44 LSR Sniper - Gunshow Find

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

So I'll say it. Does that stamp mean it's probably/maybe real? How did all those surfaces get weird? Someone postwar who fancies himself a gunsmith tries to 'improve' it? Don't know at this point
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Hmmm, this thread smells like a pgaplayerless post...both are in Michigan....just an observation...

But I am in for the outcome, whatever it may be...
    Last edited by pzjgr; 02-26-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Hmmm, this thread smells like a pgaplayerless post...both are in Michigan....just an observation...

But I am in for the outcome, whatever it may be...
    I have no idea who that is. I've met in person another big collector from this page, and this is certainly my only account on this page.

As for the stamps on the underside of the receiver - I have no idea what they are but I got an idea of their importance from repeated inquiries about them both here in the thread and in PM's.

Pgaplayerless was a member from years ago that posted a junky sniper rifle claiming it was super rare, it’s not a slight at you. Some obviously feel it’s the case here, but have jumped to conclusions imo. Just keep the discussion civil and await the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by bodie221 View Post
    Agreed, it certainly doesn't match any production LSR rifles as the many pictures show. And the rifle is clearly dated prior to any LSR production I've seen documented.

I can tell you for certain the seller was not motivated by greed. A fair price was paid but certainly not a price that would leave any profit for the seller considering the machining and engineering time that went into the project.

The rail cover is a puzzler as well. Strange to see that paired with a fake/repro.
    This is the reason I gave up on "helping" anymore. Some guys just refuse to see the forest for the trees.
    D卐M☭CRATz can bite my Azz

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gew98 View Post
    This is the reason I gave up on "helping" anymore. Some guys just refuse to see the forest for the trees.
    I think honestly it's a combo job of bad advice (like some FB groups), dishonest sellers, and a lazy? (certainly not all young guys right Jordan?) You can talk yourself into anything... I lived it. At some point the light finally goes on and you really start to understand what's 'right'.

I live with a lot of less than perfect rifles but I really like them. Learn what you'd like and can live with.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

FWIW I have met Bodie, I believe PGA lives on the other side of the state

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

I believe its time for me to chime in . I have been absent from this thread because when I first saw this CE44 LSR I thought what others were saying maybe incorrect . I looked specifically at the Base and Rail like everyone else , I was seeing things about this Rifle that had glaring traits similar to 2 other Rifles that I know about both have Single Screw and Double Pins that secure the Base to Receiver and the overall similarities in Bases are Very Similar . Theres 2 examples pictured one in Senich Book on Pg. 441 and other Karabiner 98K Pg. 354.

I am not saying this LSR is Original and I am not saying it is Not , but I wanted to purchase the Rifle so that I could do a good detailed in hand & picture documented layout of the Rifle for my own verification and also that of our Forum Members .If the CE44 LSR turns out to not be original there was the 3 day Inspection Period and could be returned . IMO the Rifle itself has Value but in its condition its Value is certainly less than a UnTouched/UnMolested Piece . I saw more value in its historical and learning potential and also showing evolutional and developmental lineage of the LSR Sniper Rifle .

I contacted Jack Parker the owner of the rifle on Wednesday evening and made an offer $1900 Parker said he wanted to think on it . We agreed that I would contact him again on Thursday evening which was done . At that time Parker said he had received another tentative offer , I asked him what the offer was and he said $2500 . I asked if I had to make a higher offer to buy the rifle or match the $2500 , Parker then replied I will NOT make You get into a bidding war . He said If I agreed to match the $2500 offer the rifle was mine . I asked if I could think on till next day. Parker said sure call me back when you decide . I contacted a good friend to get his advise and after our discussion I decided to call Parker back that night which at that time only about an hour had past , Parker answered and I said I decided to Buy the CE44 LSR Rifle at the agreed upon $2500 Price . Park said Ok Rifle is Yours at which time I asked about PayPal Payment Parker said Cashier Check or Money Order was Preferred which I said I would get that out asap . Fast forward to Friday/Today my wife tells me someone by name of Parker called 2 times , I called Parker , at which time I was told that He was now NOT going to be selling me the Rifle . Saying that he had not done this sale in his usual manner blah blah blah and he was sorry and so on , at which time I told him I already know he had received another higher offer , and his reply was no I have received offers from 2 others . So much for Done Deal !!!!.

The Moral of this STORY , The DEAL is NEVER DONE till You have said Item In Hand !!!!!!!
    Last edited by Dave Roberts; 02-28-2020 at 07:21 PM.

I've been talking to Dave about this rifle, trying to establish if it's real or not. I'll be honest, at first I was "easy to spot fake", but Dave convinced me to take another look. There is a lot about the LSR development we don't know, and some odd variants have popped up over the years to at least give it a shot. I figured if Dave gets it, he'd be the one to do great comparison photos to legit guns/bases/mounts/stock cuts so the whole forum could learn a bit.

I was happy for him when him and the guy agreed to a price. Then I hear about this guy pulling the rug out. Look, I'm all for selling something for a good bit. But the shitbird comes to this forum, milks Dave for information, then uses Daves information given to establish that this COULD be real against him in a bidding war with other blind bidders? Plus he agrees to a price and the next day re-nigs and says "so sorry, I want to auction it even though we agreed"? No - its bad enough to have such low morals as to pull a deal (IMO) that you've agreed to, but using the knowledge Dave gave against him is unfathomable to me.

Now - I'm going to say why I think it could be a FAKE, or a resto/built up gun.

There is no way in hell that the factory would leave bare metal between the base and receiver IMO. Could be a tool room gun you say - still, I just don't see them doing that. Second - the heat marks. Do you believe that the factory would do that? Really? I told Dave I didn't believe, he felt (and others) that it could be from removing the pins (the heat marks seem to radiate from there). I say it's from grinding on the receiver to get the base to fit, or cutting it without oil and making it too hot. OR drilling the pins without oil making the area hot. In any scenario I just can't image a competent maker doing that, even for a mule.

Dave and I had a lot of back and forth about this being real or fake, Dave likes it, I'm lukewarm on it, others think its fake. The point is, nobody knows. Also - someone competently milled the safety to clear a scope. You don't think it could be the guy fitting a base? I do. It's not a factory mill job. I really thought a good comparison with some of Daves known good stuff would tell us. Honestly, I fully expected Dave would end up returning that rifle on his 3 day inspection, he disagreed. Too many unknowns to pay much more than repro pricing, good luck to the "seller" getting your top dollar. You probably will, there are plenty of rubes out there for you to fleece.

Bodie - you could be a good guy, but honestly, if this is the kind of person you associate with, you aren't welcome to post items for vetting. I can't take the chance that you help this shitbird do it to another forum member again. We're a forum of collectors, not a forum of vetters for shitbird dealers who pit collector against collector so he can make the most money. Consider this your warning not to post items for vetting until such time I think your reputation is clean.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Beavis Moderator Intern mdarnell19's Avatar

Sorry to hear about this Dave. I agree with Mike about this rifle. Possibly it is an early test receiver that someone tried to turn into a sniper. Or perhaps it was fitted with a base in 1944 and someone post war removed it.

I also agree about protecting each other from "dealers" who want to use this forum for info only to achieve maximum profit. Also, a few members who say they are collectors but are really just dealers.