Third Party Press

SOS Show Report!

CanadianAR

Canadian Grizzly Eh
Staff member
Today was spent travelling home from Louisville. I hope y’all made it safely. I thought it was a pretty good show for militaria but didn’t see too many great guns. This is proved by the fact that a lot of members didn’t buy any guns!

I had a successful show without guns.
I bought:
-Rare green K98k action cover. Mint condition.
-Basically brand new condition 44sgx phosphate and riveted bayonet.
-Nice phosphate l block byf44 bolt.
-Steyr sight hood for my recent SS contract pick up.
-And one of my dream items. A BF-109 stabilizer cut off. The entire swastika with some surrounding material and girders. Desert tan colours. From a BC-109G. I’ll post it in a thread if it’s own at some point S it’s so damn cool.

4E0206C1-F46C-48C2-BB49-79BD816DD41E.jpg

Yeah I think Mike wanted us all to sign that for Andrew but I think he kind of didn't want us too lol!

I only bought one firearm and that was off a buddy and we already had that deal in place months ago and the other one I picked up from a trade deal I did with another friend back in October. But I did find some cool items such as a French World War II canteen, a French World War 1 trench knife, a spent German World War 1 artillery shell casing, a few pictures, matching 1936 S/244 bayonet with scabbard, and a matching berthier carbine bayonet.

The only k98k that I was really interested in was an ax 41 Depot rework rifle but the price tag of $3,200 for it was way too much.

Attachments

• 20200222_213521.jpg
    20200222_213521.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 104
sos show ...

... well;;.. a good time speaking with all of the forum members that i see only a few times a year. sometimes;.. i do more socializing & less buying/selling. anyway;;. got some leads on two good items. still talking about price & may know on one tomorrow. an item that i wanted bad & made four offers was that german tank muzzle brake that was back in the corner. that would look good in my office,... i take a few 41's for display & helps locate potential sellers & buyers. ( in a weak moment a while back, i sold one of my g41m's & need a good one to fill that empty spot) .... terrill .

E32701AB-661D-4100-869A-D0F09C07447C

Last edited:
Had a great time! Hope everyone made it back safe. Yesterday made for a brutal day at work after making it back to TX at 3am, but it was worth it I think??!

It was non stop, no telling how far we walked in four days. True, most of the rifles had issues but there were still a couple of real nice ones pulled out of there. Rifle wise, this year would be an excellent show of hands on learning for new guys, along with some entry level rifles priced fairly, a sanded matched ar43 for 900, and a matched Port 1937 for under 800 to name a couple.

As mentioned, militaria and digging for small items made for some of the best hunting, and I saw friends pull some excellent items out of there. I didn’t end up with any rifles myself, but some neat small stuff turned up. Big thank you to Dave, Brian, and Damian for making some hard to find parts happen for me! Bar none, the best time was had BSing with everyone and I can’t wait for next year!

It was a great show. Always enjoy see everyone at the forum gathering.

I had some great finds this year. Picked up a couple of sniper rifles. But the best part was finding some really rare grenade stuff.

Hope everyone got home safely!!!

I found 5 cleaning kits for under $40 each, a few were complete. While the show was light on 98k’s, like everyone said there were plenty of cool “smalls” to keep things going. The duv42 was a jewel so the show wasn’t exactly a bust. Every year at the sos is different, I personally don’t see a decline. I think that’s Doomer talk myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really need to check this show out sometime.... maybe next year. Does it move to different locations every year?

Short mauser

Among other things, I found a very nice all matched Swedish Mauser M94 carbine. I have been looking for years and either too slow on the draw or it was wrong for me. The only issue with this one is the Schnitzel barrel extension which had to be added according to law, not much I could do about that. Was on the relatively cheap too. The stock disc history is very cool. 7th company, 5th artillery regiment, rifle number 303...

Attachments

• IMG_7748.jpg
    IMG_7748.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7747.jpg
    IMG_7747.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7749.jpg
    IMG_7749.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7750.jpg
    IMG_7750.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 60399666706__A4CAD8F5-985C-472A-96FA-A31E843B9D41.jpg
    60399666706__A4CAD8F5-985C-472A-96FA-A31E843B9D41.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 58
That's a cool tail section Andrew, congrats, and I see you got that green cover :thumbsup:

Today was spent travelling home from Louisville. I hope y’all made it safely. I thought it was a pretty good show for militaria but didn’t see too many great guns. This is proved by the fact that a lot of members didn’t buy any guns!

I had a successful show without guns.
I bought:
-Rare green K98k action cover. Mint condition.
-Basically brand new condition 44sgx phosphate and riveted bayonet.
-Nice phosphate l block byf44 bolt.
-Steyr sight hood for my recent SS contract pick up.
-And one of my dream items. A BF-109 stabilizer cut off. The entire swastika with some surrounding material and girders. Desert tan colours. From a BC-109G. I’ll post it in a thread if it’s own at some point S it’s so damn cool.

View attachment 230469

You got some cool stuff there. I’m glad you convinced everyone not to autograph that airplane part. It looks great without all those forum member signatures. Ha Ha. Those action covers like yours are cool. Looks great.

Can you elaborate.... great guns as in matched? or matched & at a decent price? For the common meat and potatoes stuff, ie., dot 1943 & 1944:: byf 43-44.... was it thin pickings, or were they just too expensive? How about faked stuff? Anyone riding a Segway this year, or tomfoolery with ss-tunics!

Can you elaborate.... great guns as in matched? or matched & at a decent price? For the common meat and potatoes stuff, ie., dot 1943 & 1944:: byf 43-44.... was it thin pickings, or were they just too expensive? How about faked stuff? Anyone riding a Segway this year, or tomfoolery with ss-tunics!

I just didn’t see a lot of k98k that I would personally buy. A lot with wood issues. Not necessarily sanded, but waxed or cleaned etc. Just too smooth when touched with finger tips. There was a few good ones, but not like previous years IMO. Others sanded, mm, overpriced. There was a few deals and good guns, but I think there’s been better years is all I’m saying.

No Segway although the little man was there. Walking like a normal person.

I just didn’t see a lot of k98k that I would personally buy. A lot with wood issues. Not necessarily sanded, but waxed or cleaned etc. Just too smooth when touched with finger tips. There was a few good ones, but not like previous years IMO. Others sanded, mm, overpriced. There was a few deals and good guns, but I think there’s been better years is all I’m saying.

No Segway although the little man was there. Walking like a normal person.

That cycles. Let a heavy hitter die or divorce and the pickings will be great.

World's largest midget.

..Let a heavy hitter die or divorce and the pickings will be great.

Now that is some truth! Let 50 or 100 quality pieces come to market in a year or 2 and I think you'd see a feeding frenzy. Just my opinion.

SOS Report 2020

No guns for the collection but a good group for my trading fodder.
Pre-war Yugo1924, Nazi Carcano, couple of really nice Type 99 Japs and a grouping of Steyr 98ks.

Cant forget the out of the woodwork duv42 which I will post up, along with a bnz43.

B.

As a dealer at this show I found my table was very popular, it was nice seeing many of you and I appreciate the sales from those of you who bought something. My biggest mistake was not bringing more stock, and not bringing more money to buy stuff. By the end of the show I had sold nearly everything I had out on my table, including 4 nice German helmets and 5 super nice matching K98k bayonets.

For my personal collection I picked up a true original stacked insignia SS M43 field cap and tropical A-frame, both items in the exact excellent condition I had been searching for but they were not bargains by any means. I did make a few other purchases for my site but in the end didn't go too crazy bringing new stock back.

Overall, a great show. The Friday and Saturday were much more busy then previous shows, or at least that's what I thought. Even on Saturday I met many people who just arrived to the show for the first time.

There was no "German helmet doctor" this year, he has finally retired from doing these shows and sadly that means the number of German helmets at the show was a bit lower then usual. For those who didn't know him, this fellow would bring typically 50-100 helmets to just about every SOS in the past, and as he would unload there would be sort of a frenzy at his table.

Regards,
Steve

Military Rifle Journal
Back