Third Party Press

First German Handguns

Raupleminze

Gents,

I recently was able to acquire a byf 43 P-38 and a byf 42 Luger at an estate sale. The P-38 is in a "bla 1944 WaA159" holster and the Luger is in a "Auwaerter & Bubeck A.G Stuttgart WaA101 1936" hard shell holster. The Luger holster came with the tool but it is tough to tell the code of it. It looks more like a Weimar proof. No bring back papers were present.

When I acquired these it appeared that the family may have mixed up or put the pistols in the first P-38/Luger holster they found out of a box of holsters. They have since moved and are unable to contact at this point. It kind of bugs me that I do not have them in the correct year holsters. I understand that during combat perhaps these pistols were put into a replacement holster. What is your opinion about this? Do I leave them in the holsters as I received them or is it worth it to track down a more correct holster? Would that add more value wise?

The P-38 had an e/359 firing pin in it when I fully disassembled it. I was able to find a more correct e/135 pin before I reassembled it. I was also able to trade an e/359 magazine for an e/135 magazine. I also purchased an additional magazine so that I would have a spare. I later learned that one of the e/135 magazines was a post 1943 e/135 magazine as the proof was slightly different. Is it worth it to try and trade the mag for the 1942 e/135 magazine?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

I have a q block cyg p38 that came in a nice 1937 Luger holster. The fellow I purchased it from said it came that way to him. Who knows the true story on why it's that way. I have a really nice 1937 dated Luger with no holster that needs one. Theres a tag tied to the holster of the p38 that says it was brought back by an Lt from Breast. I'll leave it that way as bad as I want to mate it to the Luger. I don't store them in a holster anyway but I'm with you on wanting things to sort of match.

My advice,,,,,,,, buy one if you'd like as you will never know if yours came back that way and neither will I.

I think alot depends on the situation. Is it an early byf43 or late byf43? Either way show us some pictures of the pistols, holsters and mags!

I personally like to match with dates. I would say it would be a win win for me. I would look for a 1943 holster and then be on the lookout for another P38. Of course a 1944 variant.

It’s usually all about condition. So, I would rather have a nice “out of date” holster than a crappy “date matching” holster. But, you don’t want to get a higher condition holster than your guns are in either because it will look like the holsters “didn’t come with” the pistols. But, if it really bothers you, you can always hunt a date correct holster down and sell the one you now have. I don’t think you are adding value either way. At this point, it’s what you are comfortable with. You don’t have to really be so detailed with the dates as a year off either way would be “correct” too. So, you have more leeway than you think as far as “correct” is concerned.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back