Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWII German k98 Mauser sportarized {NEED HELP}

Default WWII German k98 Mauser sportarized {NEED HELP}

I have a in great condition K98 Mauser that I'm told is from WWII Era. It is sportarized by an unknown source. Got the gun from my father in law, and he knows nothing about it. Everything is original except barrel, scope, and stock. It was converted to 30-06 from original caliber. I took it to a older gentleman who is pretty well educated on these kinds of weapons, but need a little more info before I sale this beauty. The guy told me that the sportarization was very high quality in his opinion, and that he valued it as is for $700-$800. The only issue that i see with it is the stock. The wrist of it has a hairline crack all the way through. Which he said had been fixed by a professional. Just looking for some opinions, and maybe someone that's interested in purchasing this gun. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, you might go back to the guy that gave you that value. To me, a rifle like this is a $300 rifle at best, with the cracked stock probably $200.

Here’s a similar one with no bids at $279.

Check out what I found on GunBroker.com! https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857945136

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Well, you might go back to the guy that gave you that value. To me, a rifle like this is a $300 rifle at best, with the cracked stock probably $200.

Here’s a similar one with no bids at $279.

Check out what I found on GunBroker.com! https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857945136

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok well thanks! I'm clueless about these guns.

Do you think it would be worth finding all original parts and fixing it up before selling or sell as is?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevendodgen3 View Post
    Do you think it would be worth finding all original parts and fixing it up before selling or sell as is?
    No, this is a lost cause.
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards

So you would just sell it as is then?

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana View Post
    No, this is a lost cause.
    So you would sell as is? If so for what price?

Right. From a collector's standpoint, I'm afraid this one is a bit of a lost cause. "Sporterizing" was common immediately after WWII, and indeed up until the 1960s, when these rifles began to be appreciated on their own merits for their design and history. Quality of the conversions ran the gamut from professional efforts to garage hack jobs with little modification other than shortening the original stock. In each case, though, the serial numbered parts not used got separated from the rifle and discarded or just lost over the years.

These guns are a hard sell today. Not throwing any rocks here; it's just the truth.

My best friend's father had a NRA surplused M1903A3 that he used to take a deer every season. It was a beautiful rifle, complete and original except that the stock had been neatly shortened just in front of the sling band. It was extremely accurate with its original iron sights. It eventually began to be worth some serious coin, as it could be easily restored. My friend sneaked that rifle out of his dad's closet one day and took it to a talented gunsmith for a complete conversion to a sporting configuration, including high gloss blue and replacing the bolt handle with a swept one like is seen above. The receiver got drilled for scope mounts. The rifle was now gorgeous. And ruined. Its character and history were both gone. I was there when the presentation was made. The owner was too much of a gentleman to say anything negative about it, but the rifle never went on another hunt.

Edit: Thousands of M1936 and M1954 Mexican Mausers were imported into the US after being sold off by the Mexican government, many in original new condition. They had a delightfully smooth small ring Mauser action, with a light, precise trigger release. Most of these rifles were used in high end sporting conversions. Nice originals are really rare today. Here's an unissued 1944 example that escaped. My notes say that it sold for $2,995 several years back:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tsmgguy; 02-25-2020 at 10:55 AM.
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

Ok thanks!

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsmgguy View Post
    These guns are a hard sell today. Not throwing any rocks here; it's just the truth.
    Unfortunately this is the case currently. When synthetic furniture rifles are brand new at such a low price, people just don't want these... or not enough people want these.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"