Third Party Press

Unissued vz24 mod

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
VZ24 mods are not exactly all that interesting, but I figure this one needed posting. Probably paid a bit too much but I think condition warranted it. Basically brand new all over. The pictures really do not do the metal or wood justice. Not taking it apart since I don't have a tool for the band screw and I don't want to mangle it. I assume the barrel is original given this rifle was probably unissued when it was modified. Has several P marked parts. No idea what that means.

No depot acceptance anywhere, unfortunately.

Attachments

• Rifle Right.jpg
    Rifle Right.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Rifle Left.JPG
    Rifle Left.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Receiver Top.jpg
    Receiver Top.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Receiver Left.jpg
    Receiver Left.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Receiver Right.jpg
    Receiver Right.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Bolt Top.jpg
    Bolt Top.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Bolt Extractor.jpg
    Bolt Extractor.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Bolt CP.jpg
    Bolt CP.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Bolt FP.jpg
    Bolt FP.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Follower.jpg
    Follower.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Barrel.jpg
    Barrel.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Front Band.jpg
    Front Band.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Rear Band.jpg
    Rear Band.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Sight'.jpg
    Sight'.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Floorplate.jpg
    Floorplate.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Stock Wrist.jpg
    Stock Wrist.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 105
  • Stock Bottom.jpg
    Stock Bottom.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Stock Right.jpg
    Stock Right.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Stock Left.jpg
    Stock Left.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 140
Great rifle, one of the jewels pulled out of the show of shows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electropenciled bolt numbers are just awesome. I am so happy someone went home with this.

I was with him when he bought it - it was priced less than a byf44 in similar condition. That’s kinda how I value these, on equal to a byf44 in same condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy he got it from had it forever. He did not appear to be the gunboards type...

At least you don’t seem bitter about it.

Yeah that's good huh? :laugh: Seriously though that's a beautiful rifle Ryan. The wood and metal are quite spectacular. The variety of mods on these seems nearly endless.

I'd bet much money it is the same rifle based upon the circumstances.

No depot markings (or markings of any kind) on the front sight and base. I am pretty sure this is the original Czech barrel/sight, and not a later German rebarrel like many of these mods.

No depot markings (or markings of any kind) on the front sight and base. I am pretty sure this is the original Czech barrel/sight, and not a later German rebarrel like many of these mods.

Well, at the end of the day, regardless, it's a great Vz.24 mod with the sling cutout, a variant I've been looking for. You can get lost in the myriad of minor variations / modifications to these. I'm glad you got it, and if it is that one I was chasing years back (sounds and looks like it) then I'm glad you / one of us got it because I wrote it off back then. I can't use the term "trinket whore" if I'm going to suck up insults for a rifle ;) Pic sticky for ref.

With respect to the stock cut for sling, I'd be interested to see if there is a correlation between rework facility / depot and/or date of the work or if this was simply sporadically done.

Last edited:
With respect to the stock cut for sling, I'd be interested to see if there is a correlation between rework facility / depot and/or date of the work or if this was simply sporadically done.

I wondered that too. I can see both scenarios honestly. I was thinking it was more a time evolution where mods were added or dropped over time but the facility driven variation also makes sense.

I wondered that too. I can see both scenarios honestly. I was thinking it was more a time evolution where mods were added or dropped over time but the facility driven variation also makes sense.

The variations in the details almost seem like things beyond a blued bolt and plugged wrist were at the whim of the individual armorer. Indeed, if I recall the regs, the specifications were the blued bolt and plugged wrist for the mod. Beyond that, it would appear discretion was given to the armorer doing the work. That would make sense as they would be encountering Vz.23s, Vz.23/24s, and Vz.24s; varying levels of need for repair; varying levels of spare parts; varying levels of resources, equipment, and skill of armorers and facilities. A stock cutout is at the farther end of skill and equipment need for one of these. I can blue bolts and plug wrists in my home workshop.

I think that's a Yugo rod on there though, you need a Czech rod :thumbsup:

Yeah, I don't know much about identifying the many, many non-German Mauser cleaning rods floating around. I just threw it on for the pics. Looked naked without one. :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back