Third Party Press

2020 SOS Report

I think the leading factor for your assessment is the fact Bob Simpson is dumping his collection now that he did his book. I'm sure he was there as always..
He paid really high prices for some of his items cause he could afford to. He also drove the market up certainly at auctions as I was a victim of and others.
Now when selling he was banking on the book giving these rifles now a boost as a book usually does but, maybe the interest isn't there or people don't want to pay high prices for 22's ??

I think the leading factor for your assessment s the fact Bob Simpson is dumping his collection now that he did his book. I'm sure he was there as always.. He paid really high prices for some of his items cause he could afford to. He also drove the market up certainly at auctions as I was a victim of and others. Now when selling he was banking on the book giving these rifles now a boost as a book usually does but, maybe the interest isn't there or people don't want to pay high prices for 22's ??

I saw and spoke w/Bob S. at the show. Have known him for many years. From what I have seen, only the "tip of the iceberg" of his collection has been listed for sale on his website (and some other pieces might be consignment items as well). Did not recall seeing any trainers on his tables at this or the last SOS show...just mostly pistols. Since the SOS is likely the best event of it's type in the nation, it is not surprising sellers may seek optimum prices for their collectibles there. The O.G.C.A. (Columbus) was also once referred to as the place to get the most interest & money, for collector-grade arms as well. For example, I saw a Walther Mod V sporter, basic pattern rifle in Vg/Vg+ condition, in a rack for $1900.00! Also observed numerous mediocre (at best) DSM34s in the $1,500.+ range. One guy had half a dozen KKWs which looked pretty decent... but all were priced either at or around $3K each. I was not looking to buy any of these arms...just surprised at what the owners were asking for them.

a lot or dealers hold back and wait till SOS to put out their best wares. I know they all bump up their prices a bit for that show.. Another factor of NO deals to be found at this or any other is the fact of "set up" day is the day for that.
Any deal or miss priced item is bought by another vendor and sometimes put out the same show for a higher price. I racked my head for years chasing 98's wondering why I could never find any at a show till I helped a friend set up once and saw what really went on. Stopped bothering right after that.

Not “show related”, but there is (or was) a beautiful Walther KKW NSKK stock marked rifle running the collector’s circuit a little while back. I almost pulled the trigger several times, but the price was $5k. My mind kept telling me it’s gorgeous, but for $5k and my mind further telling me it’s a single shot .22....and the price tag is well into gorgeous K.43 territory, I never could do it. Believe me, it was nice. I think someone else got it because it’s not being posted for sale anymore.

I know the one.. I think pre98 ended up with it ?? Maybe... 3500-4k tops I would think ???

I have my three Walthers left and one is an NSKK walther sports model. Late version with E/N proofs . Seems like the real late Walthers went to the NSKK.. I have seen late DSM34's KKW's and WSM with NSKK stock markings.

I know the one.. I think pre98 ended up with it ?? Maybe... 3500-4k tops I would think ???

I have my three Walthers left and one is an NSKK walther sports model. Late version with E/N proofs . Seems like the real late Walthers went to the NSKK.. I have seen late DSM34's KKW's and WSM with NSKK stock markings.

It sure was gorgeous. One of our good collectors who’s deceased now had it in his collection for a while. Good thing I passed then as it looks like I would have really over paid.

a lot or dealers hold back and wait till SOS to put out their best wares. I know they all bump up their prices a bit for that show.. Another factor of NO deals to be found at this or any other is the fact of "set up" day is the day for that. Any deal or miss priced item is bought by another vendor and sometimes put out the same show for a higher price. I racked my head for years chasing 98's wondering why I could never find any at a show till I helped a friend set up once and saw what really went on. Stopped bothering right after that.

So it seems to be. Since for me it is a two-day drive each way to attend, it is imperative I maximize my return by being there for Wednesday afternoon set-up. However, I have experienced times where I found nothing on Wednesday, but numerous things Thursday which were either not there, covered-up, or missed the day before. For example was last week concerned a guy whom had a end-cap table. I recall going by his spot on Wednesday and not seeing anything of interest. On Thursday mid-morning I passed by and spotted a beautiful Walther .22 Meisterbusche mit Olympiaschaft, Mauser (clip-fed) 420, and a ES340. All were nice rifles. When I inquired about the Walther,, was informed "All the rifles are sold." I then asked what the Walther went for and was told it had been $800.00 (half of what it was worth). I imagine the other two were priced accordingly, and likely one guy bought the lot. Missing out on that one really hurt. At least in the case of the Walther, I had found a very nice one in a nearby shop two years previously for the same price, and thru a Forum contact, was recently able to acquire the elusive diopter for it.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back