Third Party Press

1916 JPS Rework

chrisftk

Staff member
I love both Weimar and Sauer rifles [emoji471]. This is a nice rework of a wartime JPS with some cool Weimar era features.

The numbers are matching except the bolt ,(it was a neat bent imperial bolt which I replaced with a reworked Bavarian bolt with similar finish) and front sight blade (which I took out the bubba one and added an imperial armorer spare)

The good features:

-The front sight base is a really neat Simson/BSW with a cool trademark
-Lots of nice Weimar era markings on the right receiver
- Spandau marked band, disc and cleaning rod and new barrel
-Nice bluing

The bad is that the stock was sanded, erasing any possible depot marks. In addition, the handguard broke clean in half at some point And was glued together, but matching.

Pics:
d0ad050e2914d819e0440753a3b35d9e.jpg
a7b60d1d3ecaa1a1d4aac7fef59117ef.jpg
ec2185e86e4ba8077c3df63303bdeb4d.jpg
ab4d549a26916f2c4627f10fa91f9412.jpg
558838176746839ac682ca210bc78510.jpg
72789c9ccc1fbe814980121335a07016.jpg
c948a648a59bb34db2be49087efeb9df.jpg
8542777bf63e72b016e9a2a3ad31820f.jpg
8e5de78a4924d33dc4fae21e7104d95c.jpg
a6376afd6ab31552aefeea56434f07c4.jpg
66b05f4dfbd75903ae4fc5b63a668b4b.jpg
e0c3ce6fad4c6383485b1de8be091bae.jpg
14745eb5cde790259f62e4d006cbc99c.jpg
ce23930f88f28fdfe2a4b9b508eecf18.jpg
456cbd94cc864f48de0ef7a4acdb95a7.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Very nice! Too bad about the stock as you mention but still an interesting rework. Love the parts mix too.

Very nice! Have you identified the barrel maker? Going by the RR I would speculate this is the work of HZa Spandau, typically these counter stamps are their work. Hopefully, the barrel is Spreewerke, that would be neat and fairly common for Spandau, though nothing is common really (it is more true to say Spreewerke equals Spandau more than Spandau equals Spreewerke..)

Still, I like the Republican era most of all, wasn't always that way but has been for a while now.. The least well understood era and the most dynamic period, = you won't make money collecting the era but it is the one era where you can really make a reputation as next to no one is really knowledgable.

Very nice! Have you identified the barrel maker? Going by the RR I would speculate this is the work of HZa Spandau, typically these counter stamps are their work. Hopefully, the barrel is Spreewerke, that would be neat and fairly common for Spandau, though nothing is common really (it is more true to say Spreewerke equals Spandau more than Spandau equals Spreewerke..)

Still, I like the Republican era most of all, wasn't always that way but has been for a while now.. The least well understood era and the most dynamic period, = you won't make money collecting the era but it is the one era where you can really make a reputation as next to no one is really knowledgable.
Thanks Paul. I appreciate it as always.

I probably should have noted in my initial description, this one actually has a Döhlen barrel on it (lot 60) and it was finished at Spandau.

I've really had a newfound love for this era. I'd had a nice Cassel rework for years and an S28, but in the last year at lot of really nice Republican era rifles have shown up and I've added another 7-8 to my collection. I still love just about anything from F-P War through 1945, the intrigue and mystery of the interwar period fascinates me. The lack of quality rifles, minimal information and the amount of history in some pieces is really pulling me in. I appreciate the insights you've shared with me.

..this one actually has a Döhlen barrel on it (lot 60) and it was finished at Spandau.

Any of this information helpful to try and date the barrel or sight components used in the rework? My thoughts were if they can be positively identified it would give a 'not earlier than' date to the rework itself.

The pictures don't load completely for some reason, but Döhlen is a steel supplier, not a finisher, can you type out the whole code and waffenamt? JPS made a lot of G98 barrels, probably the most, but I do not have my BC trends handy... H-M is correct, often the RS and BC tell you as much as the stock markings. (I can't see most of the pictures you posted, so you may have loaded them, I just can't make out about half the pictures - WEBP files never seem to load right)

TIA. Barrel code written out in full please.rework barrel.jpg

Because REEE I started typing before I knew where I was going. Anyhoo. 0,1 indicates a 'spares' barrel, duh, Dohlen, also duh, now to the good stuff. I think I see Su13, Su58 and Su58 from bottom to top. Any idea as to the process accepted by each? I know that's a long straw but thought someone might have ideas. Interesting for sure.

Last edited:
TIA. Barrel code written out in full please.View attachment 231082

Because REEE I started typing before I knew where I was going. Anyhoo. 0,1 indicates a 'spares' barrel, duh, Dohlen, also duh, now to the good stuff. I think I see Su13, Su58 and Su58 from bottom to top. Any idea as to the process accepted by each? I know that's a long straw but thought someone might have ideas. Interesting for sure.
Thanks for doing that HM-- the barrel code is literally just Dö 60, no other characters.

As to the acceptance process, I'm not sure.

I can see the barrel markings now, at least some of them, this is probably a Spreewerke made barrel, some of the earliest seem to be like this, without Spreewerke's trademark (a circle in a triangle); but the ones with the trademark compare favorably with those like this, - the same marking patterns but without the Spreewerke trademark. Su13 is very commonly seen, so to Su17 & Su19.

I am not sure if these w/o Spreewerke's trademark are HZa Spandau's or whether just Spreewerke's work absent their trademark, or what role Spandau had in the start-up of Spreewerke, though I am sure Deutsche Werke was thoroughly involved one way or another..

Anyway, these are the most interesting of all the barrels, Spreewerke didn't piddle in G98 barrels long, though they continued making MG barrels during the war. (and of course started the occupied Czech pistol factory)

I can see the barrel markings now, at least some of them, this is probably a Spreewerke made barrel, some of the earliest seem to be like this, without Spreewerke's trademark (a circle in a triangle); but the ones with the trademark compare favorably with those like this, - the same marking patterns but without the Spreewerke trademark. Su13 is very commonly seen, so to Su17 & Su19.

I am not sure if these w/o Spreewerke's trademark are HZa Spandau's or whether just Spreewerke's work absent their trademark, or what role Spandau had in the start-up of Spreewerke, though I am sure Deutsche Werke was thoroughly involved one way or another..

Anyway, these are the most interesting of all the barrels, Spreewerke didn't piddle in G98 barrels long, though they continued making MG barrels during the war. (and of course started the occupied Czech pistol factory)
Interesting-- I didn't notice the trademark when I disassembled, but I'll double check sometime.

It is probably absent... some of the earliest are, these are probably 1935 production as the dated ones have the trademark, including 3-4 98k length barrels. WMO is much the same, earliest are undated, not even the K/G codes, I think these are just the first firms to engage in the rearmament program and because they are so early they follow the earlier pattern where dates are not used, this would change as the production became more sub-contractor reliant and more accountability was desired.

Imperial and Republican era components were largely made in-house during the war, of course, subcontracting became necessary but is rare prior to the war (another topic regarding subcontracting G88 TG's needs to be examined... your "BS" TG, Bob's WK&C TG coded on the interior needs to be discussed further to see how common this was and how may subcontractors exist)

Anyway, these barrels tell us a great deal about the who, when and where, possibly even the circumstances in some cases. Too damn bad the stock has been sanded but still, quite an interesting rifle (and most Republican era rifles are unique in one way or another - and almost always more interesting than normal 98k's)

(another topic regarding subcontracting G88 TG's needs to be examined... your "BS" TG, Bob's WK&C TG coded on the interior needs to be discussed further to see how common this was and how may subcontractors exist)

Thanks Paul, if you are ok with it, I don't mind helping to track this. I find it interesting.

I'm going to disassemble my 88s and I'll share the TG codes, maker, year, etc.. on a seperate thread in the imperial section. Hopefully others can follow suit (I believe Ernie specializes in these and has a sizeable #) I've got about 10 matching between rifles/carbines. Due to the location of the markings, we probably will have to rely 100% on collectors willing to report....

Certainly, give it a go when you have the time, I will disassemble my G88 also and see if others may be in the database (probably not many as the location of the marking is pretty unfriendly to trending them...)

Military Rifle Journal
Back