Third Party Press

up for assessment

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
I like these but don't know enough about them to keep from getting burned. I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the rifle itself.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/857759094

As for the auction, I thought it was probably ok at $2700ish but of course some NR comes flying in off the top rope in the waning hours and runs it up another 800. Grey blanket effect?

I like these but don't know enough about them to keep from getting burned. I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the rifle itself.

As for the auction, I thought it was probably ok at $2700ish but of course some NR comes flying in off the top rope in the waning hours and runs it up another 800. Grey blanket effect?

The stock looks sanded and since the handguard is Durafol, it's most likely from a Berlin-Lubecker. It does have a nice milled bolt carrier though and a threaded barrel so that's a plus. I'd say 2700 would have been good, but I think it went too high.

Depends on what you bought it for and what your tolerance level is. You knew the stock was sanded as the description is up front about it. Like mentioned above, the Durofol hand guard is not for this rifle and the e/214 proofed bolt action cover replaced the original one that was on the rifle.

But, a G.43 bcd is pretty tough to find as not that many were made after the c block because the factory was bombed by the R.A.F. on August 24, 1944.

Totally acurate ones go from $5k-$6k, depending on condition and seller.

So far I'm not as clueless as I might have thought. I saw where he said it was sanded but I still liked the look of the stock. That would not have been a deal breaker for me price depending. I knew about the Durofol hand guard and the action cover because of the acceptance specifically. It's my understanding people intentionally replaced their hand guard with the Durofol ones because they thought they were cool or trying to make it look better. Like the grip panels on all the 'Black Widow' Lugers. I also knew the Gustloff ones were fairly scare and desirable but didn't know they went as high as 5-6k. Like I said earlier at $2700 I had decent interest. When I checked back and saw where the price had been driven to I was out regardless.

Thanks to you both for your replies. It's nice to get other peoples take on things sometimes.

Interesting

This rifle is interesting to me as it supports what I have long held. I own a bcd G43(one of the first produced) with the milled action cover. I have documented several others, all with the housing having commensurate wear to the rest of the rifle.

We know from 98k production that Gustloff and duv had a working relationship. Some early Bcd's also have 359 proofed triggers...

I believe duv supplied these parts during initial production to Gustloff.

Yes, I had forgotten that some G.43 bcd rifles did have the milled bolt action covers. From what I gathered, it’s very few that had them.

That is also true many collectors replaced the correct wood hand guards for the Durofol ones as they look cool.

Thanks. I'm sure I wouldn't know that. I have no idea what a 'real' one even looks like. Like I said I'm ignorant on these. Trainers too but I'm learning.

Kelly is spot on in terms of potential value for something similar to the ones posted in the photo reference section. The subject rifle also has an incorrect late gas cylinder; the original would have been a blued “type 1” with serial number and letter block e penciled on the body.

Military Rifle Journal
Back