Third Party Press

weimar reworked kar98a

toulon44

hello all

here is my new kar98a , it's an all matching rifle , DANZIG 1918 / 1920 , reworked during the weimar republic , i've got it last sunday and share it with you today . all the bolt components are blued , 1920 date on the stock and the receiver , and double S/N on the rear band .

pics are coming

receiver / barrel / front and rear bands
1.jpg2.jpg2a.jpg2b.jpg2c.jpg2d.jpg2e.jpg3.jpg3a.jpg3b.jpg

Great carbine! I really like it. Looks like the stock was just slightly sanded, but that's a very minor distraction. I'd be proud to own it. Looks like a textbook Weimar era rework. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Pretty rare to see the factory original bolt in a Republican era 98a, most get replaced in one fashion or another by WWII... never seen a rear band like that either, a pretty interesting rifle, I do wonder if it has any HZa acceptance? I would think it passed through one at some point, during such visits it was common for the stock to be sanded and weakening the original Imperial markings, but new HZa stamps are usually applied...

What I find most interesting though is its largely original component make-up. While the Germans didn't make many new parts (ordnance spares) for the 98a between the wars, they did salvage old parts, especially bolts and stocks, this is a pretty neat rifle!

thanks for your comments , there's not any hza stamp on the stock but this one i thinks has been replaced , the S/N appears to be over stamped on an old one and there is a "SU4" control on the take down washer ,not ww1 period , the buttplate also doesn't show any ww1 control stamp .

ber

Military Rifle Journal
Back