Third Party Press

Kar 98a Question

matticus28

Registered
I am new to the forums and I had a question. I have recently picked up what I assume to be a Kar98a. I am rather a neophyte to this type of weapon but I like to collect WW1/2 weapons. I'm confused on the nose plate. I can't tell if this was "sporterized" or not (possibly missing pieces?) You can see in one of the pictures that a sling swivel has been placed on the end by where I think the nose plate would be and I am not sure if this is supposed to be there. It also appears that the bolt SN's do not match the rest of the firearm so that might be something as well.

My pictures are way too large to attach on here so here is a OneDrive link to them.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvpmaTGW3QU3gP41xbaiZ-rB0GZZ4g?e=K4mned

The more research I do on this, the more my head begins to spin so I figured I would post it here and see what everyone says. Thanks for any help!

Your stock has been cut short and the original bayonet bar, stacking swivel and band replaced with a totally incorrect band/swivel combination.
The original distinctive WW1 style Kar. 98a bolt has been replaced with a WW2 98k bolt.

On this Forum if you go on the Picture Reference then click on miscellaneous then Kar 98 you'll get an idea of what's missing.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back