Third Party Press

Is this a field made foot locker?

Brian5016

My wife and I have flipped antiques for 15 years and I don't know why but we have encountered more WW2 items this past month than I have in the last year? Maybe a generation or two removed from that era are now passing on? The owner said that he bought it from a German lady who said she acquired it from an antique store in Germany. BUT- I buy antiques, not the stories :)

Is this a field made footlocker? The A.R. 15 appears to have been applied with fountain pen ink. There are two shipping labels affixed at each end. The printed portions are legible, and were pre dated with a year of ' 194__' the large paper label on the top is mostly illegible. The box was built with metric dimensions: 1 meter long, 60cm wide, and 44cm tall. The thing is heavy and large on its' own, so while full, it definitely would have taken two troops. I realize that A.R. 15 is the abbreviation of 'Artillerie Regiment 15'. My research into A.R.15 reveals a somewhat mundane WW2 combat record that ended when the unit surrendered to the Soviets east of Prague in 1945.

I have this box, and I'll do another thread on some photos from an estate sale. I am a rookie WW2 collector so any impressions from more advanced collectors is quite desired and would be appreciated.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 59
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 64
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 54
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 40
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 41
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 40
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 29
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 41
Very typical German munitions type crate. I bet Pzjgr could tell you for what.

I can only decipher fragments of the label.

Frau
Katharina ......
....... /Mainfranken

Mainfranken is a district in northern Bavaria
The few letters I can read from her last name do not make sense for a German name. Maybe french ........?

Military Rifle Journal
Back