Third Party Press

98k 22cal conversion kit

Is this guy serious? If his erma conversion kit isn't "shortened" then there wouldn't be such a large gap between the end of the barrel and the end of the barrel channel in the case. He knows this and is straight up lying on that listing. People just have no morals anymore--that's why I stick to the forum trader because you guys are awesome.

9387047_1.jpg

Attachments

• Erma22.jpg
    Erma22.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 9
WT, to be clear, the pic you posted is not the Gunbonker seller’s snubnosed EL.24, but what an original looks like. What makes his bullshite so bad is that you can see in his case where the barrel marked the case before it was cut off.

311A2ED5-4F1C-4DC0-925C-B6F700A1130D.jpg

You really have to watch and know what your buying. One of these kits was listed as complete but looking close the locking pin was missing. I informed the seller but there was no change in his listing and it sold.

The seller is addressing the chopped barrel now. To paraphrase, he says these were made in various barrel lengths and that perhaps this box is not for this unit. Further, the barrel is not cut because it is crowned. I know how to crown and chamfer a barrel, so any gunsmith does and has a crown and chamfer tool, which is cheap. Anyone buying that silliness deserves that thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9MOlxPdnbww

498616E0-D062-4801-BA58-B139DA484255.jpg

Last edited:
Seems unusual to me that someone would pay $1400 for a chopped barrel EL.24. Are the parts worth that? Is the cost of sourcing a new barrel tube and installing it? I think I've seen these in nice shape sell in the $1500-1750 range.

EL24 gunbonker snubnose sold.JPGEL24 snubnose bid history.JPG

As a reference point for these, an extremely nice, and complete, EL 24 Kit sold at Amoskeag Auction last weekend for $600 plus fees. Say $720.00 all in.

I paid $1700.00 for my example in a laminated box. All the parts matched and are in nice condition. The box had some holes where I suspect that the box was screwed shut. The box is missing some of the original hardware as well, probably why it had to be screwed shut.

As a reference point for these, an extremely nice, and complete, EL 24 Kit sold at Amoskeag Auction last weekend for $600 plus fees. Say $720.00 all in.

That person found a good deal if complete and matching.

Mine had a couple holes screwing it shut and the mail home address on it with a copy of the paperwork. Those extra screws were to keep the box closed during mailing home on mine. Bet it was the same for yours.

Here’s the Amoskeag sale: (sold $600.00)

serial #3484d, 22 LR, 26 3/8" barrel with an excellent bore. This Erma Erfurt sub-caliber repeating conversion unit remains in excellent condition. The finished metal surfaces retain about 97% original blue with most of the loss to assembly and operational wear in addition to a few handling marks. One magazine has tool marks around the take down button on the base plate. The in-the-white barrel shows light handling marks and stains from oxidation but still rates excellent. There are German "[eagle]/77" Waffenamt marks and German nitro proofs. The conversion unit is complete with barrel, bolt and receiver assemblies, a pair of magazines, magazine floorplate assembly and installation tool. The wooden box is routered to hold the Unit and rates about very good to excellent showing light to moderate handling wear. An excellent example of a conversion unit. (8A8281-33) {FIREARM} (800/1200)

Attachments

• 3548EF09-97EF-4A94-AD04-1EF4D1C103E4.jpeg
    3548EF09-97EF-4A94-AD04-1EF4D1C103E4.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Has anyone seen any of the commercial models that were available in different calibers? Years ago at the old Edwardsville Gun Show, a dealer had one in the box for a short M95 straight pull carbine.

Has anyone seen any of the commercial models that were available in different calibers? Years ago at the old Edwardsville Gun Show, a dealer had one in the box for a short M95 straight pull carbine.

jooHorIl.jpg

qODjt5El.jpg

blB5mxKl.jpg

Bu6bL9tl.jpg

As you can see on original ERMA prospect, barrel are 52cm and 60cm

The barrel on the subject EL.24 is 22 1/8” or 56.198 cm. It was made in 1938 and was clearly and originally make for a K98k. The case shows clearly that it housed a standard issue length EL.24.

The barrel on the subject EL.24 is 22 1/8” or 56.198 cm. It was made in 1938 and was clearly and originally make for a K98k. The case shows clearly that it housed a standard issue length EL.24.

No doubt about that. I only wanted to point out that the translation of the prospect is not correct.
Thanks

No doubt about that. I only wanted to point out that the translation of the prospect is not correct.
Thanks

I was agreeing, just looking back at it compared to the measurements. Thanks for clearing up the translation. I never have seen an EL.24 with a variable length barrel or heard of one.

Military Rifle Journal
Back