Third Party Press

DSM 34 Extractor

old dogs

So can I assume it's practically impossible to ever find an extractor for this rifle...laughable right? Added a few more photo's hope it helps...Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4068.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4067.jpg
    IMG_4067.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4066.jpg
    IMG_4066.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4065.jpg
    IMG_4065.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4069.jpg
    IMG_4069.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Just an FYI, some manufacturers have different bolt designs. Either type 1 or type 2.

Some of the pictures are blurry. Can you take some more pictures of the bolt sides and the bolt face (from several angles)?

To answer your question, yes its pretty hard to find these on their own.

ES340B_2xCulasse.jpg

Concerning Mauser DSM, 3 bolt types were produced (The third design appeared on a few DSM produced between 1943).
The attached picture shows the two bolts design found on Mauser ES340B (same as DSM 34); on the left 1934-1936 models and on the right 1936 and later.
Clearly, the presented Thüringen has an early Mauser bolt's design. Waffenstadtgenossenshaft Thüringen egmbh followed the DSM34 Mauser's patent.
I do think that the attached picture is clear enough to help you to define what you should search for.
Anyway, very rare rifle. Congratulations!

I have a list of names for extractors. I hope to get to them this year, but would like a few more people first.

From my experience and understanding, while the two main models used a different extractor position, the extractor themselves are the same.

From my experience and understanding, while the two main models used a different extractor position, the extractor themselves are the same.

Really? The picture, that I attached to my previous post, clearly shows that they are different. I'm not stating that a later model won't work on an early one as I haven't (and won't) experienced it.

Really? The picture, that I attached to my previous post, clearly shows that they are different. I'm not stating that a later model won't work on an early one as I haven't (and won't) experienced it.

Sorry for my delayed response, for some reason I missed the email.

While the various makers of the DSM all purchased a "license" agreement that included a set of blueprints, from my experience the various makers all have subtle differences. This is likely for several reasons, one being the "native" workforce. Everyone has a different way of doing things and craftsman are no different. If you ask 10 machinists how to make something, you will get at least 12 different answers. Second is the machinery. Many of the makers had different "specialties" that is their main market varied. Thus it is likely that give the age, dispersion, and markets, their machinery, and as follows their capacities were different. Same problem, different approaches.

I said all of that to say that, visually, and dimensionally, these rifles vary a great deal. From maker to maker. I have a very small collection, tiny compared to most here, and very few parts are the same.

If you take your extractors off of your bolts you will see that the part that counts, the parts that must fit to the bolt, are nearly identical from the two different types. The nose, the part that holds the cartridge, vary, and vary widely. Even among my Mauser made rifles, the nose varies.

If you take your extractors off of your bolts you will see that the part that counts, the parts that must fit to the bolt, are nearly identical from the two different types. The nose, the part that holds the cartridge, vary, and vary widely. Even among my Mauser made rifles, the nose varies.

This afternoon, I had a close look to various Mauser B single shot and DSM bolts.
You're right the parts that must fit to the bolt are nearly identical.
I found something really interesting :
DSC_2327.JPG
As you can see the right bolt is not recessed but has a "recessed bolt" extractor nose that perfectly works. It could means that the second extractor (after 1936) should work on pre 1936 bolts.
On the attached picture, both bolts belong to Mauser DSM.

Military Rifle Journal
Back