Barrel band shvings.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 39
  • early style buttplate.jpg
    early style buttplate.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 50
  • unweathered sling hole.jpg
    unweathered sling hole.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 46
That is a beautiful rifle, don't ever clean the stock, just oil the metal and it will remain a high end collectible for years to come. And don't ever listen to gun show experts about values/originality, do your own digging like you have on this one.

Also, I suggest you not shoot it. You seem focused on head space - use the other one you bought as a shooter. Even minor parts breakage or stock damage will ruin a very nice rifle.

more pics of #21

additional medium close up photos

Attachments

• Starboard 1.jpg
    Starboard 1.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Starboard2.jpg
    Starboard2.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Starboard3.jpg
    Starboard3.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Starboard4.jpg
    Starboard4.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 34
Unweathered wood

Stock has seen no action.

Attachments

• unweathered hand guard.jpg
    unweathered hand guard.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 29
  • unweathered shavings.jpg
    unweathered shavings.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 36
  • unweathered forend.jpg
    unweathered forend.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 29
  • stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 32
Headspace concern

Well, I guess I won't shoot the 1943 #21 because it is so pristine.
But I don't want a case rupture in the RC rifle.
Safety is my primary concern.
I have not done anything to #21 except disassemble carefully for photos and clean the bore with Hoppe's #9 then RemOil and finally CorrosionX.
Same for the surface except no Hoppe's
I barely sanded less than a half square inch on the left side near the rear sight because of a large splinter that stuck me.
Otherwise just a good cleaning and wipe down.
I did manage get 99% of the cosmolene out of the chamber bolt lug recess.

What mrfarb said. Don't clean it, don't touch it, don't shoot it. That is a high end K98k. There are thousands of relatively cheap, perfectly safe RCs and bolt MM rifles for shooting.

I thought the band was on backward but didn't want to mess with the sight hood right off the bat.
Thanks for the sharp eye.
Yes, it is currently in a gunsock buried deep in the vault.
Wonder what kind of value I should insure it for?
Sure do appreciate everybody's opinion.
Should have heard some of the comments at the gunshow over the weekend.
I had a card on it that said, "Not for sale. Tell us your opinion."
Pretty neat stumbling onto a well preserved beauty like that.
I texted the seller to see if any of the 3 brothers in law would part with their rifles from the stash.
No response yet. Can only dream of consecutive numbers:jaw:

You won’t need to remove the sight hood, just rotate the band sling loop to the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone make out the HZa in pic 2 of post 21? Great rifle btw! Pretty darn interesting.
I caught the HZa right away. What does it signify? Thanks! Yes, unique and pristine pieces always catch my eye. Now I'm diving off into yet another caliber!

Truly a excellent rifle. I dont see any issues with it. That aspect alone isnt easy to come by. As far as headspacing goes in your other rifle, I have owned many k98k rifles that fail a field gauge test. They always shot just fine. Zero case ruptures. I understand you wanting to be safe, but the mauser 98 action is such a good design that aslong as you wear safety glasses while shooting you will be fine.

Truly a excellent rifle. I dont see any issues with it. That aspect alone isnt easy to come by. As far as headspacing goes in your other rifle, I have owned many k98k rifles that fail a field gauge test. They always shot just fine. Zero case ruptures. I understand you wanting to be safe, but the mauser 98 action is such a good design that aslong as you wear safety glasses while shooting you will be fine.

Thanks!
Well the qualified gunsmith I go to all the time said find another bolt.
I bought a "No Go" gauge and learned how to conduct the test.
When that bolt fully closed with zero resistance, that's a bad sign.
I'm sure that hardened steel won't explode, but accuracy and further barrel wear will not be good.
Thanks again!

I caught the HZa right away. What does it signify?

The 'H.Za.Gw' indicates the buttplate is a spare part made by the Army Ordnance Depot (Heereszeugamt or HZa) in Güstrow. As already stated, these commercial rifles were built from spare parts and sometimes recycled or rejected parts as well.

BSW coded K98k rifles are extremely rare and highly sought after. Commercial proofed K98k rifles are extremely rare as well and (in my point of view) command a premium. You have a combination of both in pristine condition all matching which is impossible to upgrade in condition. I think you hit the jackpot with that rifle, that is as rare as a K98k can get. I have no clue on the value on the US market, but I would almost bet someone desperately looking for a rifle like this might offer you a few thousand Dollar.

Also try to find out more on the history if possible. So far there have been various Commercial proofed K98k rifles being documented which are based on non-conform parts. Yet unknown is the particular reason for the manufacture of these guns, as well as who had used them. Based on the numbering (font, markings, etc.) it seems there were various manufacturers of these "Commercial K98k" rifles which I believe to be Suhl based companies.

Please also make sure to at least get the chance to see the other three guns, you could claim this for documentation of what the original owner has had. And when you inspect them it will surely be easier for you to maybe buy them from the current owner(s).

Edit: if I was to make a wish, please do a picture set of the rifle with outside light, especially more general pictures. You have posted many details but these are tough to orientate (at least for me), especially since they are split into several posts. Or maybe an Admin can attach all your pictures of this rifle in the starting post?

Don't know about the rest of you, I almost cried when I saw the sandpaper reference, Why ( removed comment) cant people leave collector rifles alone. or any rifle for that matter. like they are qualified firearms restorers

leave the bloody thing alone, check the head space on a collector rifle WHY!!!!! no emoji for shaking my head

lately anymore, I just see the value of my un-molested collector firearms going up and up

and more impulse buying from folks who claim to want to learn but fail to do the proper research ?????

Military Rifle Journal
Back