Third Party Press

Sticky Action

BigJoeK

Just wondering... do all G43 bolt carriers hang up slightly on the return/loading pass? My recently acquired AC44 cycles backward smoothly but about halfway on the return, if i go slowly by hand - stops midway. It will slam home with a slight tap. But I wonder if my bolt is dragging on the hammer or something else.
Will post a video if this is not totally typical.

I will add that I just installed a Shooter's Kit and have not shot it myself yet. it clearly had many rounds through it previously.

Just curious, did you also replace the springs? I think Apfeltor’s Kit now includes the spring set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I bought the full "G43 Apfeltor Welcome Kit" (springs plus gas piston kit). I was hoping that hitch in the action would go away but it didnt. I also have a replacement front spring guide coming from Frontline Militaria. I noticed a fair amount of play and a small crack in the neck of original. Thought that play was causing the spring to get sloppy which was causing the hitch.

I am pretty sure it's the top of hammer riding on the bolt or vice versa. When I begin to engage the sear on trigger pull (which lowers the hammer slightly) I can feel less friction when moving the bolt carrier forward.

If that's normal, I'm a little surprised that passed for "German Engineering" but it was 1944 and the Allies were getting closer.

Hello BigJoe, my Gewehr 43 was actually the exact same way as the one you showed in your video i think that they are just a bit sticky like that, although not that sticky mine will only lock up when following the bolt home. I oiled the springs, and used gun oil wipes on the firing pin housing ,the bolt carrier, and the action cover

Thanks for letting me know. I saw a similar hesitation in another youtube video so seems that's just the way they are. Good suggestion to lube the firing pin housing, a little oil there might help.

Just want to make sure before I fire a round or two at the range tomorrow.

sticky...

... that happens on g41's sometimes. unless you have a problem between the bolt carrier & receiver rails,it's an easy fix. when you take the bolt out; there is a small ramp on the bottom, that pushes the hammer back to the sear. the bolt is getting slowed way down when it slids back forward over the hammer. polish that ramp pretty good, oil it nicely, & be sure to install a new recoil spring,... good luck,.... t

Alrighty 👌
Happy to say first aimed shot (the one following the arms length no look downrange safety shot😬) hit a 100yd gong with easy recoil and no issues chambering a new round. Success!

Round was a light-ish 150gr 8mm Mauser load i made for my k98. Chrono'ed @ 2050fps. Brass neck battered but landing about 10' away.

And, yes, now the action seems smoother after firing.Hanging up less.

... there is a small ramp on the bottom, that pushes the hammer back to the sear. the bolt is getting slowed way down when it slids back forward over the hammer. polish that ramp pretty good, oil it nicely, & be sure to install a new recoil spring,... good luck,.... t
This is what i was thinking also....
I did notice that when i pulled the lugs out, the bolt runs pretty well. So i polished those a bit too.

All good 👍 she's shooting well.

Any recommendations on lube? I looked at another G43 last year and passed on it. I was amazed by how much goo (lube) there was in the action springs. it was white. is this actually recommended?

dragging

There is noting wrong with rifle and is not dragging, most likely its drooling!!

seriously very normal. new or old springs it will do it.

Thanks ��
In any other rifle I'd think something was about to break with too much of that.
I want to shoot this rifle plenty but dont want it tearing itself apart either.

On to the next sticky part: the scope rail/mount. It's a bear and I will be starting a new thread on that next.

Cheers!

Military Rifle Journal
Back