Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky Action

Default Sticky Action

Just wondering... do all G43 bolt carriers hang up slightly on the return/loading pass? My recently acquired AC44 cycles backward smoothly but about halfway on the return, if i go slowly by hand - stops midway. It will slam home with a slight tap. But I wonder if my bolt is dragging on the hammer or something else.
    Will post a video if this is not totally typical.

I will add that I just installed a Shooter's Kit and have not shot it myself yet. it clearly had many rounds through it previously.

Just curious, did you also replace the springs? I think Apfeltor’s Kit now includes the spring set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not un-common and as stated a new spring kit should resolve the issue.

Sounds normal.

Yes, I bought the full "G43 Apfeltor Welcome Kit" (springs plus gas piston kit). I was hoping that hitch in the action would go away but it didnt. I also have a replacement front spring guide coming from Frontline Militaria. I noticed a fair amount of play and a small crack in the neck of original. Thought that play was causing the spring to get sloppy which was causing the hitch.

I am pretty sure it's the top of hammer riding on the bolt or vice versa. When I begin to engage the sear on trigger pull (which lowers the hammer slightly) I can feel less friction when moving the bolt carrier forward.

If that's normal, I'm a little surprised that passed for "German Engineering" but it was 1944 and the Allies were getting closer.

Here's a video showing just how sticky.it is.

https://youtu.be/OkNY1L0c__I

Hello BigJoe, my Gewehr 43 was actually the exact same way as the one you showed in your video i think that they are just a bit sticky like that, although not that sticky mine will only lock up when following the bolt home. I oiled the springs, and used gun oil wipes on the firing pin housing ,the bolt carrier, and the action cover

Thanks for letting me know. I saw a similar hesitation in another youtube video so seems that's just the way they are. Good suggestion to lube the firing pin housing, a little oil there might help.

Just want to make sure before I fire a round or two at the range tomorrow.

Totally understandable, firing it will also most likely loosen it up a little.