Third Party Press

Problems chambering 5 rounds

ks762

I'm try to fix an issue with a recently acquired Dot 44 mismatch. When I first got it, I had difficulty cambering rounds. The bolt also was very stiff on closing. I replaced the firing pin spring with another one and that helped, but didn't eliminate the problem with rounds cambering. When I load 5 rounds, the top one will get jammed as the photo below shows. I took out the magazine floor plate and when looked at the spring it was compressed a lot, and the follower tilted downwards. I replaced it with a NOS one but surpisingly, that too had a downward tilt and still had issues cambering with a full 5 rounds. I replaced that one with another and this one had the follower sitting parallel which I thought would solve the issue, but it hasn't made a difference. The inside of the bolt and receiver are clean, no cosmo or grease. The inside of the magazine area doesn't show anything that would indicate any issues. I'm using PPU 196gr FMJ rounds.

When I load only 1 or 2 rounds, it chambers, but is still pretty stiff when closing the bolt. It feels like when I load 5 that the rounds internally are compressing inwards. Any ideas on what else the issue could be? I haven't tried other ammo since I don't have any but have used this PPU 8mm before in a Yugo K98 without issues. When I cycle the bolt empty it's smooth, the bolt handle does not have any resistance when closing.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/eHIHPFd

Thanks!

This sounds like one of those problems that will be a bit hard to figure out without having it in hand. Does the follower freely move up and down the magazine body without issue? What do your spent casings look like? There could be burs in the chamber catching on the brass rounds, causing the stiff bolt. Also, are you slowly chambering the rounds or really racking the bolt like its supposed to? A more aggressive technique could remedy your feed problem. Interested to see what others say.

John.

Follower moves up and down without binding anywhere. Haven't shot it yet so cant say yet on spent cases. Yes I'm throwing the bolt forward with a good amount of force as well.

Is it a stock mismatch? If the issue is the fitment of the magazine housing in the stock and distance between the top of the magazine and bottom of the receiver, you can remove the action from the stock, screw the magazine back on, and check how it feeds that way.

How does it cycle when loading 4 rounds? Have you tried loading the rifle with a stripper clip?
Is your bolt face clean? Does your extractor rotate easily on your bolt? Is the claw on the extractor in good shape?

Have not taken the action out of the stock yet. 4 rounds cycle better than 5, the 5th round does not jam. Bolt face is clean and the extractor is sharp and not deformed, rotates round the grooves without issues.

I did notice something interesting in the follower. Is it supposed to stay in one place or can it move up and down? There is about a half inch of space that it can move. I noticed when I pressed it back towards the bolt face, I can load 5 rounds and it won't jam, but still cycles with resistance.

Follower pics: https://imgur.com/a/KtaKrN0

Military Rifle Journal
Back