Third Party Press

New Canadian Member

1Bighead

Hi folks;

Im brand new on here and looking to connect to find our more regarding a K98 I was gifted a couple of years ago. I served 27 years in the Canadian military, retired in 2014. When Im not sitting at home avoiding the Covid 19 pandemic, I work for the Federal Government.

I picked up a bnz 1941 K98 from my brother-in-law who found it in the rafters of his garage, in Manitoba, in the late 70's. Sadly, somebody had 'sporterized' it, as was very common here in Canada after WWII, and cut down the stock. It was also pretty rusty and covered with dust and cobwebs. Luckily, however, all the parts have matching serial numbers.

How it got in the garage is a mystery. I assume that some old farmer stuck it up there to either hide it from his kids/ grand-kids/ or his wife, and forgot about it. It is possible that it was brought back by a soldier after WWII or, if its a Russian capture, it was more likely to have been imported as post-war stock and sold as a hunting rifle.

I cleaned it all up including most of the bad rust, grime, etc., and put it into a later model war surplus stock (1944+?) that I bought at a gun show. Its not a perfect match but, fitted with a reproduction cleaning rod, it looks pretty good considering it spent a good portion of its life in a damp, dusty, garage. I picked up a box of ammo and plan on shooting it out in the bush. If I can get some hunting ammo, I'll even try it out on deer next fall before adding it into into my small collection.

In any regard, I'd like to solicit some expert opinions on some of the proof marks, whether or not it was liberated by the Ruskies, and options for fixing it up.

Regards. Phil Palmer, Calgary, Alberta

IMG-0468.jpgIMG-0451.jpgIMG-0452.jpgIMG-0453.jpg

Last edited:
Post up some pics, we’ll give you the run down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back