Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Cracked G43 bolt housing cover still serviceable to shoot?

  1. #11
    Senior Member Winchester Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oberndorf
    Posts
    854

    Default

    I wouldn't use it. When it goes Ka-Boom you don't want to be learning Braille from your mistake...

    Quote Originally Posted by KneverKnew View Post
    I have this spare bolt housing that is in good shape in all respects EXCEPT for a fine crack on the right front side. Since I like to shoot my G43, and since this bolt housing LOOKS BETTER than my currently installed housing, I was wondering if the crack is minimal enough to allow it to me used for live fire? Does this particular spot on the housing receive significantly high stress levels to make it an concern?
    Attachment 233081
    Attachment 233082
    Attachment 233083

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Iíll continue to use the one I know works. Iím sure Iíll get the crack fixed on day. Or sell it. So what a bolt cover worth these days with a tiny crack like that?

  3. #13
    Senior Member GunKraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Legal resident of Kommiefornia
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KneverKnew View Post
    So what a bolt cover worth these days with a tiny crack like that?
    About what you paid for it, but most likely less.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
    About what you paid for it, but most likely less.
    What if I didnít pay for it? What if it was given to me by a friend?

  5. #15
    Senior Member GunKraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Legal resident of Kommiefornia
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KneverKnew View Post
    What if I didn’t pay for it? What if it was given to me by a friend?
    Then all of it is sheer profit. You'll win no matter what. IMO, $100 could be a fair price.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
    Then all of it is sheer profit. You'll win no matter what. IMO, $100 could be a fair price.
    Ok. Thanks. I still may hold onto it.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    826

    Default

    My two cents is I would not be stressed about it but always feel free to consult a gun smith or Apfeltor.

    My reasoning is its a stamped action cover...its simply a cover. Any stress and impact is on the rear of the cover where damage and wear occurs (Apfeltor repair). As long as the rest of the rifle/bolt are in good order there should be no stress to the sides and top of the cover. I suspect the crack may not even be a crack but a stamping flaw. Dust cover's are often cracked from poor removal and sit on the same cover and people still shoot the rifle, why? Because there isn't any stress on that area. Heck, you can even remove the dust cover and have a gapping hole in the action cover and you don't have any catastrophic failures!!!!!

    If it was a crack bolt, receiver, bolt carrier, locking flaps, rear of the action cover...sure be worried. Use some common sense people, that part is simply a cover to protect moving parts.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentcq View Post
    My two cents is I would not be stressed about it but always feel free to consult a gun smith or Apfeltor.

    My reasoning is its a stamped action cover...its simply a cover. Any stress and impact is on the rear of the cover where damage and wear occurs (Apfeltor repair). As long as the rest of the rifle/bolt are in good order there should be no stress to the sides and top of the cover. I suspect the crack may not even be a crack but a stamping flaw. Dust cover's are often cracked from poor removal and sit on the same cover and people still shoot the rifle, why? Because there isn't any stress on that area. Heck, you can even remove the dust cover and have a gapping hole in the action cover and you don't have any catastrophic failures!!!!!

    If it was a crack bolt, receiver, bolt carrier, locking flaps, rear of the action cover...sure be worried. Use some common sense people, that part is simply a cover to protect moving parts.
    I appreciate your time to explain. It is a crack cause I can see a pin hole of light shining through from my bright flashlight. I will study the situation more and proceed with caution. I appreciate all the opinions and suggestions you guys have provided.

  9. #19
    Senior Member armenjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    View W/bars on window Glendale, Kali
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
    Given that the entire front section points upward, what are the chances that some doofus tried to remove the bolt assembly not with the bolt retracted and locked, but with the bolt still in battery and the bolt carrier up against the receiver bridge?
    Now it only wants to lift up half way in the back, not enough to be able to remove it. Let's help it a little bit, where's the flat head screw driver? Ah, it's moving already, not quite enough, let's pry a little harder, a little more, SNAP!. Bingo, it finally broke loose. Damn Germans, everything is way too tight, glad I got it finally out!

    OMG, what is this crack, where the fuck is it coming from? Ah, I remember, over gassed, slave labor sabotage and sloppy late war metallurgy. I knew it wasn't my fault!
    I always asked them to place button here some where,


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •