Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New BYF 44 L block

Default New BYF 44 L block

Picked this up last year and finally got some time to get some pics of it to post. I picked up a new, real, camera over the holidays and have been working on my pictures with all the work from home right now, still have some areas I need to get better at but have to say using a real camera makes a huge difference, especially on the detail. Gun has a nice mix of phosphate and blue, pretty typical L block I think. Bolt release is an early Sauer e/214 proof which is kind of neat. Odd coloring on the stock around the takedown disc, seems original, maybe the stock blank got some heat before they used? Dull bit on the press when they drilled the hole?

Is the front band the sintered type? I was looking at pics in Vol III and it seems like it but wasn’t sure.

Thanks, Nick

Pic01.JPGPic02.JPGPic03.jpgPic04.JPGPic05.jpgPic06.JPGPic07.jpgPic08.JPGPic09.JPGPic10.jpg

and more pics, probably more than needed but new camera and all...

Pic22.JPGPic23.jpgPic24.JPGPic25.JPGPic26.jpgPic27.jpgPic28.JPGPic29.JPGPic31.jpgPic32.jpg

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default L block with 'c' stock

Nice 'l' block with some cool features.
    'c' stock for one, sintered metal front band (likely reject used up) and rejected receiver use in build.

You can tell Mauser used an earlier rejected receiver since its polished and not rough milled.

Neat gun.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

I agree, really neat gun. A masterpiece. This is the Bud Light of Mausers.
    Its a masterpiece

Excellent example. I really like that early receiver. Thanks for the great pics!
    WTB: Unnumbered MO bands, both KM and standard type, MO KM stocks including an unaccepted one, MO bands and stock 5897, upper band 0643

Congratulations very nice gun. The dark marks on both sides of the butt
    stock. Looks like burn marks in the same location on both sides!
    very peculiar/intriguing.

Thanks Bruce, interesting, I didn't realize it was a recycled receiver, should have picked up the polish on the bluing as being out of place! Bolt is rough, almost no finish work on the body.

Nick

Nice to see this one again.. I think its easier to pick up little things when staring at photos. Most L block receives have quite a bit of lathe chatter and machine lines. This one is baby bottom smooth. One thing neat about this one is there is a heavy laundry list of features. Like a care back in the day it has a long option list. As for the photos I think the camera not sure the type is off a bit ? The photos aren't a sharp as could be expected maybe a little more time fiddling with settings. I still say for the puck the I-phone still takes the best photos to date but, im bias and have never paid up for a professional camera. A for effort nick..

That pubic hair sticks out like a sore thumb for sure...

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Nice catch picking up on those out of place items Bruce. With the perspective you have it's easy to see that level of metal finish and bluing is out of place here. Is that a sunburst/asterisk I see above the C on the keel?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"