Third Party Press

Can you sell a 98 with only four pics

Bob in OHIO

(assuming an accurate description)....

If I told you all orig, and undicked with, would you buy with just these 4 pics?

Attachments

• byf44.g.00.jpg
    byf44.g.00.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 157
  • byf44.g.01.jpg
    byf44.g.01.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 155
  • byf44.g.04.jpg
    byf44.g.04.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 159
  • byf44.g.06.jpg
    byf44.g.06.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 148
I have sold a 98k with no photos, but they help greatly. It’s the seller that matters to those that know each other. But guys that don’t know you? No, I wouldn’t buy a rifle from 4 photos from someone I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..the seller that matters to those that know each other.

Of course Mike's right about that. First thing I thought of was "is this you or one of the human crime waves selling on Gunbonker?"

That said I think those 4 very clean photos give enough of an idea about the metal finish and that the wood is intact. I'd probably give it a shot based on price of course.

I have bought rifles with only four or five pictures from auctions but it's always a gamble. But buying from somebody like Mike usually starts with a phone call and I most likely send him a case of beer with a check lol.

I have sold a 98k with no photos, but they help greatly. It’s the seller that matters to those that know each other. But guys that don’t know you? No, I wouldn’t buy a rifle from 4 photos from someone I don’t know.

This. If I know the seller then that’s different. From those four pictures though, I wouldn’t buy that rifle no.

I've bought many rifles over the phone with no pics before and asked for a 3 day inspection.
Sometimes the rifle description and condition is on a hand written letter. Some excellent deals and no problems so far.

Not all people are computer or cell phone literate.
Some people have to get their kids and grandkids to post ads.
Some people are too busy with work to post pics and a description is all you get.

Your mileage may vary so be careful.

At least those pictures are nice and detailed with clear lighting I will say that much. I will admit to purchasing rifles with just a few low res poorly lit photos and a short description, though I knew who I was dealing with.

All this talk of selling Bob, how much...
Lol.... my point is, it doesn’t take 140 pics to reveal what you have as some try on GB. So what is the minimum number of pics with an honest/ accurate description. If the rifle was as mentioned (matched and not dicked with), can 4 pics be enough? I’d think yes... heck, ‘farb will buy with 0.0 pics. If the rifle is 100% correct, and the price is in the zone, and the rifle is as shown, what’s the issue? And, this one went east several years ago 😁.

I would buy from several people on the forum with no pictures. The necessary number of pics for unknown people is going to depend on the rifle for sale (early v. Late). A byf45 might be adequately represented with 6-9 pictures, a byf43 maybe 12-18 and anything earlier than 42 might need 30 or more pictures.

Right, it just kinda depends. As stated above, reputable seller? Typical return policy, maybe answered a question or two? Sure, why not. A few years back a seller listed a 98K on GB with very little description and one poorly lit, fuzzy full length photo. I took a chance that wasn't really very dangerous, and netted a factory fresh 1941 Portuguese contract 98K for the opening bid. You just never know.

I noticed that sometimes people post 150 pictures in order to hide the fact that something is mismatched, not serialed when it should be or cracked.

I noticed that sometimes people post 150 pictures in order to hide the fact that something is mismatched, not serialed when it should be or cracked.
Yes! Paralysis by analysis. Show you something exciting with the left hand so you ignore what is happening with the right hand.

Military Rifle Journal
Back