Third Party Press

Full Report WMO 1917 with Maple Stock

mauser1908

Here is the actual data and some detailed photos on the WMO 1917. It turned out to be all matching with the exception of the bolt sleeve. Super excited to have it in hand probably the rarest rifle I own, it turned out to be all matching less the bolt sleeve. The only downside is the crack in the wrist, but I'm not really concerned about it, somewhat undecided if repair it or leaving it is the best option. The interesting part is the comb of the stock has a factory defect where they botched the machining of it and caused it to fail initially and passed after review and is C/RC marked below the serial number. I think the stock has a late war Kronenol finish.

Another neat aspect, there were assembly numbers on the receiver, barrel, magazine, and floorplate all have assembly numbers. The floorplate and follower were made by a subcontractor as well. Wanted to throw an idea out, Pieper, Liege made the side plates on most 1917 and 1918 dated Erfurt lugers. They bear the same acceptance C/J as Pieper made Spandau receivers. The buttplate, bayonet lug and bands are also C/J marked, I think it's possible that Pieper may have been a subcontractor for those parts as well. Any thoughts?

Receiver SN: 43aa
Barrel SN: 43aa Barrel Code: BS 15
Front sight SN: 43
Rear sight SN: 43
Sight Slider SN: 43
Ejector box SN: 43
Trigger Sear SN: 43
Front barrel band SN: 43
Rear barrel band SN: 43
Trigger guard SN: 43
Trigger guard screws SN: 43, 43
Floor Plate SN: 43
Follower SN: 43
Stock SN: 43
Handguard SN: 43
Buttplate SN: 43 aa, Rastatt depot marked
Bayonet lug SN: 43
Bolt body SN: 43
Extractor SN: 43
Safety SN: 43
Cocking piece SN: 43
Bolt sleeve SN: 30
Firing pin SN: 43

IMG_2032.jpgIMG_2033.jpgIMG_2073.jpgIMG_2093.jpgIMG_2077.jpgIMG_2078.jpgIMG_2079.jpgIMG_2080.jpgIMG_2081.jpgIMG_2082.jpgIMG_2083.jpgIMG_2084.jpgIMG_2085.jpgIMG_2086.jpgIMG_2087.jpgIMG_2088.jpgIMG_2074.jpgIMG_2070.jpgIMG_2072.jpgIMG_1995.jpg

Last edited:
My German Shepherd thought it was pretty interesting and wouldn't leave me alone while I was trying to photograph it.

IMG_2105.jpgIMG_2092.jpgIMG_2090.jpgIMG_2089.jpgIMG_2108.jpgIMG_2109.jpgIMG_2107.jpgIMG_2101 (1).jpgIMG_2103.jpgIMG_2046.jpgIMG_2112.jpgIMG_2111.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 8
Can’t quite tell from your pics . . . .

Is the follower configured to stop the bolt from going forward on an empty magazine?

What an awesome rifle Sam I can't wait for the report from Paul this really is quite a scarce rifle to find and the first I have seen in the states.

A wonderful rifle, but I am away from the main computer with my data, but I will try and trend the rifle later and see if there is anything unusual or whether any rifles near it offer some insight.

As said before though, these 1917 "German" WMO are very uncommon already, the rarity of the stock is even more a rarity... so add its condition to these two factors and this is a remarkable rifle!

Damn nice rifle. I’m sure someone could turn up a 43 sleeve without a great deal of work, if so inclined.

A wonderful rifle, but I am away from the main computer with my data, but I will try and trend the rifle later and see if there is anything unusual or whether any rifles near it offer some insight.

As said before though, these 1917 "German" WMO are very uncommon already, the rarity of the stock is even more a rarity... so add its condition to these two factors and this is a remarkable rifle!

Thanks Paul, I appreciate it! Looking forward to it.

Damn nice rifle. I’m sure someone could turn up a 43 sleeve without a great deal of work, if so inclined.

Thank you, I appreciate it! Yeah, I'm definitely going to try, Jeff already set me up with a matching cleaning rod for it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back