Third Party Press

BYF 43 I block bolt MM

brcampbe

Here is a really cool BYF 43 bolt MM I found yesterday. Looks like it was taken off the battlefield yesterday. Thought I would share.

vM28gHW.jpg

GGVn0qQ.jpg

GK6KdPL.jpg

S14kgkS.jpg

2AXe9GO.jpg

0H29tAm.jpg

6l1550H.jpg

Looks like you did OK for sure. Nice having the sling plus the bayo. Congratulations on your find.

byf 43

That's a very nice looking rifle, you just can't get any more righteous than this !
Tks for the posting a nice pics.
Bob32268

Congrats! I'd say you did well too. How's the bayo? Matching? Care to post some more pics of that too?

first rifle this week I saw with the wood that was not polished and made pretty congrats on a good find, plus the non repro items it came with

Congrats! I'd say you did well too. How's the bayo? Matching? Care to post some more pics of that too?

So yes indeed the bayonet has matching scabbard after all, it’s a 1940 EuF Hörster. I’ll post some better pics up of the rifle tomorrow.

first rifle this week I saw with the wood that was not polished and made pretty congrats on a good find, plus the non repro items it came with

Indeed. It seems the great majority of rifles I come across in NH have messed with stocks. Personally, I look at the wood first now, the bolt second. Unfortunately many gun shops haven't realized the import of original stocks to many collectors and their prices are out of whack. That's nice wood! Congrats.

Indeed. It seems the great majority of rifles I come across in NH have messed with stocks.
I think that's a pretty universal issue these days... As mentioned before, many rifles have one strike, like a mm bolt but that doesn't kill it for a collectable, IMO. It's the two strike guns to avoid. Not having a mum on an Arisaka is one strike, but a mm bolt and a ground mum is a non starter. If this byf had bad wood + a mm bolt, that really hurts.

Turns out this rifle has a very interesting feature I have not ever encountered. It appears to have a field replaced floorplate catch. Whoever made this thing did a great job with machining it just right. I thought about finding a replacement, but now I'm not going to as the patina on the outer matches that of the rest of the rifle so it was likely made during the war. It works a lot like commercial Mauser floorplate releases pre-WW1. Thoughts on this piece?

qIiYCIa.jpg

ar3hiNU.jpg

MEi1QAj.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back