Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Call out Turds?

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muncher 1953 View Post
    Please don’t ever stop!
    Calling out fakery is critical to the survival of the hobby, this forum seems to be one of the few that practice it honestly.
    Thanks!
    Yes thanks. Not trying to hype or play fanboy but Dave's site also is a good resource. Like in many cases you can literally copy the Gunbonker akshun number and do a search and it will take you right to a discussion of the veracity of that item. If you got hoodwinked for high dollar and didn't do that due diligence then you are at fault. Not the hobby or K98s.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Don't EVER stop calling out turds! Every turd called out is something new learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbarger View Post
    Every turd called out is something new learned.
    That's exactly how it works brother. Every one caught and dissected contributes to the collective learning.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Potential Future Early War Armchair Internet Expert sheepdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    But do you want to collect things which are free or cheap? While people don't fake free or cheap things (like dirt clods, cigarette butts, dryer lint, etc.)
    But my dryer lint is part of a large 40+ year old collection.
    Alles, was man im Leben braucht, ist eine gute Frau, ein treuer Hund und eine nette alte Mauser.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    But my dryer lint is part of a large 40+ year old collection.
    For $40 I will provide you with a COA for it.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    is part of a large 40+ year old collection.
    Yeah that guy... "my large 40 ear collection".. He must have a thousand guns in his large

Per the OP and following poster

I routinely tell this to new comers every other day here, so much so, I have expected the MODS to spank me ( verbally) or called out by my fellow members as being over the top. ( for whom I have little verbal contact with)

I am far from a K-98 or G/K-43 expert, in fact not one at all. but I have been collecting military firearms since 1976, my area of interest is east german firearms since 1990/1991

my approach is simple, learn as much as possible, read as much as possible. This what I took away from 4 years for college ( I paid my own way, starting at 22yrs old) research, patience, in the field learning hands on ( in our hobby funshows, exhibits and now the internet, where the bloody information is free).

I routinely hear " its my rifle" crap, yep its yours. When you get bored with that now used collectible, I am going to offer you peanuts, because I will see the range table scratches on grandpa's bring home luger, you had to shoot or I will smell the cold blue you added to fool me, or the polished stocked to make it pretty.
    the biggest sin shooting the bloody thing, like I will never know. We have a few guys here that shoot there civil war rifles and collectibles. I will never join in conversation with you and you know who you are.

yep your rifle is now worth half the collectible value, as this will insult Mr. "it my rifle"

Interesting thread...

I'm 49, and have been collecting US (primarily) ang German WW2 weapons since 1994 or so. I'm also a car guy and have dabbled in and collected muscle cars (mostly solid lifter SHP GM..Z/28's, L78/89's, LS6. COPO, etc.) longer however. I've been fortunate to have owned some very cool cars (and guns) including a "pilot" LS6 Chevelle (owned it twice actually), a Yenko, a bunch of Z's and L78's, and a few cool Corvettes. A lot of how I "collect" guns is a result of my car collecting.

Research first...buy second
    Study known examples
    Understand manufacturing principles...LIFO, FIFO, FILO, LILO
    Don't assume something that isn't expected...is wrong
    Find a mentor

The fakes and fakers will always be there....you guys think gun collecting is bad...play around with 6 figure cars...re-stamped parts, re-stamped drivetrains, fake docs, rebodies, outright fake claims (was booted off a well known GM "supercar" website in 2006 for showing the site owner's 1968 Camaro funnycar wasn't the well known drag racers car he was claiming it was...$300k car to $35k overnight..). Anytime you have something collectible you will have fakers..

The key to maintaining the hobby is to call out the fake stuff, be proactive with it...item for sale or not, educate people through constructive post, be seen as "friendly" to newbies...mentor people, and don't "protect" legacy people

Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ls6man View Post
    The key to maintaining the hobby is to call out the fake stuff, be proactive with it...item for sale or not, educate people through constructive post, be seen as "friendly" to newbies...mentor people, and don't "protect" legacy people
    This........
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Current thread

Not to repeat ls6man and Hams post but point on!

One key point in the previous post "dont protect legacy people."
    I guess that last point was really brought home with the whole "champagne rune" episode on multiple forums.
    I for one would expect to be called out if I posted a gomer!

B.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----