Third Party Press

Light Green Camo Helmet

morticianman1990

Hey everyone,

I purchased a single color camo helmet, it's coming from overseas so it will be a few days at least before I can upload some pictures. It is a unique color, from the pictures I saw almost like a seafoam green. This helmet was said to be found in italy (southern front), but the owner said he's seen similar camo helmets for sale described as Mediterranean camo helmets. From the pictures I saw, it seemed to be a lighter green than typical Mediterranean camo helmets. I know I've seen pictures of German soldiers wearing this color helmets (Luftwaffe ground troops). My question is does anyone happen to have any pictures of a soldier wearing a helmet like the one I described? Maybe the pictures had a weird cast on the helmet, but I doubt it - it really doesn't seem like a Mediterranean camo to me.

Best,
Erich

Have you taken a look at the German helmet group on MeWe? If not, I suggest you do and you can post an inquiry there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A like yours is pointless and causes anxiety ...kinda like watching a family of ducks crossing a busy highway we have no clue how it will turn out but we hope they make it......

Or like I banged this broad last night I think she was hot but it was dark..Ill let you know when its light out..:facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:
I would not recommend any Fakebook type chats and such. I would recommend GHW2. That description without pics will not yield any coherent discussion or opinions.

I would not recommend any Fakebook type chats and such. I would recommend GHW2. That description without pics will not yield any coherent discussion or opinions.
Ahh, I forgot about GHW2. I'll have go check that forum out. In the meantime I'll ask the seller if he'd mind sending me some pics of it and post them if I receive any

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A like yours is pointless and causes anxiety ...kinda like watching a family of ducks crossing a busy highway we have no clue how it will turn out but we hope they make it......

Or like I banged this broad last night I think she was hot but it was dark..Ill let you know when its light out..:facepalm::facepalm:

More like, “ I banged this broad last night and I can’t remember if I used a condom”. Who cares if she was ugly? :happy0180:

Sorry for the blue balls gentleman, the seller said he'll get me the pics he has tomorrow. He has them on a laptop which he left at work. I will upload them here asap.

No worries.. like we have any thing better to do than wait... I have made ten belly button lint sweaters and now working on arranging the sock draw.. :thumbsup:

Here are some pictures!
4a9522b2de2e066491e5000862dc4361.jpg
e427064c8a1f02014e4a666fe28bd0e0.jpg
fe45cdbe8138c12b7c9519c921f17ed4.jpg
8bef4fcd48452bdcb3bca7e6782020aa.jpg
7e3202b3c8f4a8b2994e319bd0f2f59a.jpg
06c48b2b8c7f114ac1e5ad65dcfd228a.jpg

Back from 1946 through the 1970s, even later, when German helmets could be found out by the side of the road for trash pickup, kids, bikers, hippies, stoners, etc., would paint them. After 50+ years, these helmets, after being played with by kids, left in the backyard, left on the open garage shelf, in the attic, shed, etc., have picked up patina. The waftarded sometimes refer to these as "exotic freshies" and I've seen them peddled to the more waftarded for large sums of money by certain bigwigs. It is as if the history of a German helmet ended in 1945 and picked up again when they were selling it, leaving out the intervening 75 years of being played with by kids, handled, left in humidity, etc. I'm afraid my opinion is that this helmet falls into that category.

Back from 1946 through the 1970s, even later, when German helmets could be found out by the side of the road for trash pickup, kids, bikers, hippies, stoners, etc., would paint them. After 50+ years, these helmets, after being played with by kids, left in the backyard, left on the open garage shelf, in the attic, shed, etc., have picked up patina. The waftarded sometimes refer to these as "exotic freshies" and I've seen them peddled to the more waftarded for large sums of money by certain bigwigs. It is as if the history of a German helmet ended in 1945 and picked up again when they were selling it, leaving out the intervening 75 years of being played with by kids, handled, left in humidity, etc. I'm afraid my opinion is that this helmet falls into that category.
That could definitely be the case! I was curious though, because I swear I've seen pictures of soldiers wearing light green camo's similar to this. Who knows maybe I'm mistaken? I thought it was interesting, and I didn't spend much dough on it. I can always return it during the inspection period!

Just to compare, here is a light green helmet. It's an overpaint of a whitewash winter camo. The color is a known RAL vehicle color. There late war color pics of this color used on German AFVs for camo. See for comparison original period (not "colorized") pics, original can of camouflage / vehicle paste, and original period painted vehicle crate and plates, along with a RAL plate for what I think the color is. Also, compare the wear.

Note: Camo helmets in period pics painted the same as the AFVs.

Attachments

• M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (1).jpg
    M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (1).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 19
  • M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (2).jpg
    M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (2).jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 17
  • M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (3).jpg
    M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (3).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 30
  • M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (4).jpg
    M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (4).jpg
    288 KB · Views: 17
  • M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (5).jpg
    M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (5).jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 16
  • M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (6).jpg
    M.40 H ET66 114 Grn. Overpaint WW (6).jpg
    214 KB · Views: 19
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 16
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 21
  • RAL green AFV paint paste.jpg
    RAL green AFV paint paste.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 18
  • RAL 7003 Gearbox green.JPG
    RAL 7003 Gearbox green.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 28
  • surrender.jpg
    surrender.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
That could definitely be the case! I was curious though, because I swear I've seen pictures of soldiers wearing light green camo's similar to this. Who knows maybe I'm mistaken? I thought it was interesting, and I didn't spend much dough on it. I can always return it during the inspection period!

I'm not saying it is definitely not. There are light green colored RAL(s) that look like that. If it is/was original, it could have been scrubbed and cleaned to the point that it no longer has any age, wear, or patina and the color looks different. Various tards back in the day, even today, engaged in that type of historical vandalism to "improve" dirty old helmets.

I just posted additional period color pics, not colorized. Of course, paints then varied as they do now, particularly inasmuch as these camouflage colors were in a paste, as shown, and mixed, and there was variance. Further, photography can distort colors, and "colorized" pics should never be relied upon for much of anything other than entertainment.

Last edited:
sorry to say it looks as through the family of ducks didn't make it.... :facepalm:

There is a color called sea green. It was assigned a RAL # I don't know it off the top of my head. There have been some great discussion about items
painted this color. Typically used by the KM and there was some forts still where doors and such can be seen in this color.
Some of the guys who like in Norway and Denmark have access to these forts.

Helmets, optics and other small items IE gasmask cans are painted this color.

This helmet isn't that color but close.. I cant be sure what happened to it but, if it were a fish I'd throw it back and try for another... sorry.

Maybe post war used by fire department, it looks safety green to me. Like that neon color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input gentleman! I appreciate all the pictures and discussion! I will wait until I receive the helmet and have it in hand to make a decision. I thought the helmet was kind of cool, knowing it may not be an original example due to the lack of similar colored examples. I don't have much into the helmet, so if I get in hand and I like the color I will probably hang onto it

Military Rifle Journal
Back