Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what some people do K98 refurb

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in OHIO View Post
    Here's a pristine one that has been out in the ether for at least a decade.... and no recent discussion ... but now may be a good time...

http://www.lmd-militaria.com/page434.html

http://www.lmd-militaria.com/page435.html
    Why do those rifles look identical, like they were made by the same factory at the same time? I suspect they were pimped and wanked by the same person, a fellow out of California who did many G.43s like this in the early 1990s. The bluing work and stock wanking looked the same on everything he "restored". I suspect he may now be deceased. I never saw that he ground and repopped numbers. What he did was take an honest 80% rifle and whizz and shine and refinish, pimp, and wank, until it was a blinding 99.9% metal with a blinding "blonde" stock and shimmering buttplate and takedown disks. Back in the day there were guys that loved those "blonde" stocks and "99%" finish.

Last edited by Hambone; 03-31-2020 at 06:04 PM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

That’s the Ed McCauley stock and metal restoration enhancement Bob. Popular during the 80’s - in fact this was the 1980’s pinnacle of collecting, if you could duplicate this look in your tub you had arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    That’s the Ed McCauley stock and metal restoration enhancement Bob. Popular during the 80’s - in fact this was the 1980’s pinnacle of collecting, if you could duplicate this look in your tub you had arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was trying to be sensitive to the probably deceased. But yes, that's the restorer and the work and the genre, into the early 90s. Everything looks alike. You could lay different makers, years, G.43s, K.43s, whatever, all in a row and it looked like they were all made by the same factory at the same time, shined up and stored in a vacuum container time capsule.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    I'd heard of this but never knew the who. I was just a 'kid' and not yet a collector of anything at the time. Too busy on AD and living in barracks for any real collecting anyway. Reminds me of the 'work' Miltech can do for you.

miltech pimp shine.PNG

http://www.miltecharms.com/rifles.htm

Apparently this one is EVEN MORE bleached out?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

And this is the part that kills me... got Gran Pappy's old war bringback?? Trade that junk in on a Miltech!!

trade in_trade up.PNG
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Potential Future Early War Armchair Internet Expert sheepdog's Avatar

I'd pass, no white fill stamps.
    Alles, was man im Leben braucht, ist eine gute Frau, ein treuer Hund und eine nette alte Mauser.

(Shudder.) It's like these things are coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden.
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

Since the background reminded me of something I was able to find it - a commission sale from a dealer. Asking price is 1800 GBP, so 2221 USD or 2021 Euro. From first glance it appears to be an original Single Rune contract rifle. Yes, it had been pimped that lowers the value, but an all matching untouched Single Rune rifle would bring more than the asking price. So well, it might be a hole filler until you get a better one.

Absolute, yep.

The Macauley work I always saw and was familiar with (and there were a number of pieces) did not involve number humping, that I saw. It was just took the pimping and wanking up to the Mardi Gras K98k level with all the blinding shine on unblued parts and brilliant 99.9% MINT! metal and wood. The concept is the same as a fishing lure, to provoke people who like shiny to jump at it. Deep down many of us are programmed from infancy and by work and commercials to want shiny. Monkeys love shiny. The Indians loved shiny more than Manhattan. Intellect suppresses the automatic jump at shiny programming. Ed Macauley pimped and wanked Nazi firearms to appeal to those who must jump and throw money at shiny.