Third Party Press

Already Done Delete

I mentioned in the G/K43 and Long Side Rail Pic sticky threads (of which no one has posted any information, your self included) that I plan to do the same thing for the other mounting systems. If you look at the thread on Long Side Rails, I not only post threads to rifles but to cans and accessories. Anyone can reply to this thread with links, pictures or information regarding anything and everything Long Side Rail. Do you not like the format I did this in? Because it seems to be what you are asking for. You have been given the opportunity to contribute, why not take advantage of it?

Here is the thread in case you had not seen it
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?39473-Long-Side-Rail-Rifles

You comment, "if you buy into the whole theory of my scope mount has to match my rifle." How else are you suppose to determine if a G/K43 rifle is a true sniper or not? Are you aware of some sort of marking or special serial numbering? If so please share.

All I can say is it takes years to really build an online reference section. Our photo section is 10 years of work. To comment that things are missing is good, but realize I just recently appointed a dedicated mod to the sniper section. Nobody has cared to create these online studies for the many years that this section has existed.

I am happy about the recent activity with some great threads. Keep up the cooperation.

Thanks. I changed the link.

I will be making threads for the other mounting systems. It was my plan to have threads of all K98k type snipers (although some may be combined because of lack examples). In these threads I wanted it to be a place to share new information, links, and opinions on the titles rifles. This way that current and new members could all go to one place to find a lot of information. I say this sincerely, post and add as much as you like in these threads. Any help is good.

OK, Matt I posted my Gustloff LSR to your pic sticky list. However, no one has added it to the original post with the others. I posted/reposted it a while ago. I like to make comparisons without doing a long search trying to find it. It would be nice to see them in serial order with the others for comparison. I will have other stuff that I could post, but I am not going to waste anymore time posting pictures as it just gets buried by other items like turd alerts or instructions on how to make repro snipers. To me that would be the purpose for posting things is to make comparisons of real items.

Brian, I would certainly like to add everything to the first post. I have just been slammed with work and raising kids when I get home. I’ll get to it eventually.

However, my intention was to make a single thread with lots of Long Side Raul info all in one thread, not one post (the first post). It was nice how you posted links to several rifles in the thread. But why did you go and delete them all? I thought it was nice having them in it. And likewise, I’m not going to waste my time added all your stuff (which is good pictures and info) if you are just going to delete them.

OK Matt and Brian, you both are credits to the Sniper collectors. Please do not let anything petty stop each of your noteworthy contributions. I enjoy and read each and every one of each of your posts. Sometimes I contribute. I too an too busy to do much. I just finished a couple weeks of work on my WY place. I need many more hours but maybe it will not leak? Life is not so easy and interferes with our fun time. Keep up both your good work and thanks for both your huge contributions.

OK Matt and Brian, you both are credits to the Sniper collectors. Please do not let anything petty stop each of your noteworthy contributions. I enjoy and read each and every one of each of your posts. Sometimes I contribute. I too an too busy to do much. I just finished a couple weeks of work on my WY place. I need many more hours but maybe it will not leak? Life is not so easy and interferes with our fun time. Keep up both your good work and thanks for both your huge contributions.

Thanks Mike. I have no issues with anyone here. Nor any hard feelings. I will in time work on more Sticky threads. For me right now my priorities are my faith, wife and kids and new business. Collecting has to take a back seat to all that.

I also don't want to rule over anyone here. People are more then welcome to create sticky threads themselves (and I will them put the thread at the top). Things don't have to be done the exact same way that I have done them.

I appreciate your contributions over the years also. Glad to hear you are doing well and working in Wyoming. Stay safe.

Well said Mike and I find it true more day after day. I also need more hours in my days. :laugh: And to ALL the contributors in every sub I appreciate all you do!

Hello Mike. I have been really busy with other stuff. I have just started to retake many pictures with one of those light boxes for my own use. It is hard to get good pictures due to the lighting aspect. I have and have had a few pictures on here that I didn't like and might replace them at maybe some other time. I have a few more items and mounts with scopes. Send me an email or PM if you need a picture of something. Thanks.

Hi Brian, glad you are well. I need a light box myself. What was your source for a box? My pictures are fair to poor. Lighting is the biggest problem.

Have you posted pics of that JPS low turret? If there is a link or place to find them let me know. One is pretty high on my I want list.

I am gonna have to set up time for new and more pictures in the Fall. It has been hot, humid, mucho rain, grass growing like weeds, etc. just a work filled summer.

Brian, first thing, when you take picture try to place the scope NOT on the ground. I'm using a transparent plexiglass item to hold the scope in the air. This is easier to remove digitally if something is visible. This way you don't have the "ground shadows". Secondly, make the pictures brighter compared to the ones you had posted. I usually check the pictures already on the camera after taken and if too dark or too bright I adjust it.

Second thing, when reworking the pictures: first ALWAYS aling the pictured item based on one of the main lines in it perfectly parallel to top/bottom (in case of a scope it is most often the tube. This makes it look much more comfortable to the eye and therefore also more attractive to all, without them noticing it.

Then, digital reworking. I prefer to have cut down the lights so that the background becomes a perfect neutral white. This also makes items cleaner and more attractive to the eye. It depends on the program you're using if this is easier or harder to achieve.

Attached one of your pictures just quickly alinged parallel, cropped and very quick turned most of the background to a neutral white.

Edit, to the question of the light box: for scopes and handguns I'm using the "Sanoto MK50" Light Box. Google it, very cheap and perfect for scopes and handguns!

Attachments

• Hercules.jpg
    Hercules.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the pictures Brian. Some nice and interesting stuff. I will find that rare JPS LT somewhere here.

Thanks Absolut for the photo tips. I have never made adjustments to a photo. Guess I need to learn. I am sure it shows in my pics. I could use a pistol lightbox but I need one for rifles much more. Does a rifle lightbox work poorly for pistols. One that would do both would better meet my needs, if such exists.

I could not find a light box that was long and thin for a rifle. I suppose you could make one. It's an impossible to find item.

You really don't need one. Just get a white background (sheet or whatever), a decent DSLR camera, and a speed light pointed at a white ceiling. I use a D3100 set to RAW image output with an SB700. Additional lighting helps, but I took this photo indoors with no lighting at all. Adjusted exposure, color temp, etc. with Nikon's free ViewNX2 software.

It is easy once you get the hang of it.

Attachments

• Rifle Right.jpg
    Rifle Right.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 37
You really don't need one. Just get a white background (sheet or whatever), a decent DSLR camera, and a speed light pointed at a white ceiling. I use a D3100 set to RAW image output with an SB700. Additional lighting helps, but I took this photo indoors with no lighting at all. Adjusted exposure, color temp, etc. with Nikon's free ViewNX2 software.

It is easy once you get the hang of it.

I personally don't like the "ground positioned" rifle for taking pictures, especially due to the shadows this results in which are digitally tough to remove. I rather hang my gun in steel wire (from pike fishing) that I later digitally remove, less work than to digitally remove the tiny shadows around the gun.

Plus it is correct, I still have not seen a light box in a size correct for rifles. I've built mine myself based on the design of the Sanoto MK50 light box, but with different dimensions (plus a third LED stripe).

The reason there are no or few I should say posts about k98 sniper rifles is because people that don't have a k98 sniper always decry whatever you post as being completely fake.
42ff8d472ec95d2c60eb6327cf63b252.jpg

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back