Third Party Press

A "Rare" Bird

morticianman1990

Hey guys, I've got something a bit odd to share with you. A smooth paint Luftwaffe helmet with a green "subdued" decal. The originality of these is highly controversial with most people believing they were all applied post war, or if they were applied during the war it was done at the depot/soldier level. As far as I know real unissued decals exist, but there is no proof they were officially attached to helmets. All the pictures of other helmets with these "subdued" green Luftwaffe decals I have seen are re-issues with textured paint. So that leaves this helmet in a weird situation anyways, as it looks to have been repainted with smooth paint at some point. The original decal can still be seen crackling through the over paint. I took as decent of pictures as I could of the decal. Are any of them "real"? I don't think we'll ever truly know, but I still think they're pretty cool nevertheless and at least a conversation starter.

Attachments

• gd_left.JPG
    gd_left.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 84
  • gd_decal_front.jpg
    gd_decal_front.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 100
  • gd_decal_wing_top_right.jpg
    gd_decal_wing_top_right.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 63
  • gd_front.JPG
    gd_front.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 44
  • gd_right.JPG
    gd_right.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 48
  • gd_back.JPG
    gd_back.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 38
  • gd_top.JPG
    gd_top.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 35
  • gd_inside.JPG
    gd_inside.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 42
I like the particular helmet as an overpaint. Every one of these "green subdued" Luft adlers I've seen on a helmet that I thought was legit was on an overpaint or other "rework" type helmet. I do not think these decals were placed on helmets at the factory.

I like the particular helmet as an overpaint. Every one of these "green subdued" Luft adlers I've seen on a helmet that I thought was legit was on an overpaint or other "rework" type helmet. I do not think these decals were placed on helmets at the factory.
I did not give my opinion in the original post; however, I choose to believe these were available and applied at unit/soldier level. I'm glad you like the fact it's an over paint. I know this helmet isn't in the best of conditions but I thought it was pretty cool!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back