Third Party Press

Thread: MG position - Then & Now

Default MG position - Then & Now

Recently a local military history enthusiast was able to find the spot where my favorite MG position picture was taken.
    - Thanks koen!
    The photo is in an album from someone of the I/IR59 and was taken in May 15 1940 when they were engaged against the BEF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter U View Post
    Recently a local military history enthusiast was able to find the spot where my favorite MG position picture was taken.
    - Thanks koen!
    The photo is in an album from someone of the I/IR59 and was taken in May 15 1940 when they were engaged against the BEF.
    That’s is cool Peter, how in the world did the historian find that window?

Quote Originally Posted by sturmgrenadier View Post
    That’s is cool Peter, how in the world did the historian find that window?

We know exactly how and where the troops of I/IR59 attacked the city of Louvain, so that limited the options of where this picture could have been taken, the house itself is on pretty busy street, I think he has driven by that house plenty of times and made the connection that way.
    I myself was actually surprised that the house and the one next door still look the same, I would have thought that it would have been either demolished or remodeled, so much that a "then & now" was not really possible.

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

I'm surprised at the architecture, I would have never guessed that house was around in the 40s. Very cool photos.

In 2010 I found another great "then & now" photo opportunity with a picture from the same photoalbum.

This is on the Scheldt River, the farm is now a restaurant and notice that the door frame still has the bullet holes from 1940 in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Very cool! Interesting to see how things have and haven't changed since then.
    WTB: Unnumbered MO bands, both KM and standard type, MO KM stocks including an unaccepted one, MO bands and stock 5897, upper band 0643

Quote Originally Posted by ugafx4 View Post
    I'm surprised at the architecture, I would have never guessed that house was around in the 40s. Very cool photos.

I thought the same, then after looking at the building more it does have that 20's-30's Art Deco look. Great photos!

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    ..after looking at the building more it does have that 20's-30's Art Deco look. Great photos!
    Same here. I'm not so surprised that this still happens in Europe. They don't seem to change things just for the sake of change. Great work Peter!
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Very interesting photos Peter.