Third Party Press

G43 barrel

daltrey99

So i got a G43 barreled receiver and come to find out the barrel was replaced with a 30-06 barrel. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement barrel either original or new? I am going to have Apfeltor do the work once I get my hands on a proper barrel. He installed a barrel once for me before.

So i got a G43 barreled receiver and come to find out the barrel was replaced with a 30-06 barrel. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement barrel either original or new? I am going to have Apfeltor do the work once I get my hands on a proper barrel. He installed a barrel once for me before.

Swapping a barrel on G43 is not for the faint of heart or the uninitiated hence the difficulty in finding just a barrel @ least that has been my observation . Obviously Apfeltor can do it but you may have to buy a parts gun to get a usable tube . No saying they cant be found ,just that you rarely findf just a barrel..is typically attached to a receiver..

Isnt that outfit in Germany (SSD..?) remanufacturing G43"s . Might have some luck there ..but probably will be expensive , if even compatiable.

Last edited:
Swapping a barrel on G43 is not for the faint of heart or the uninitiated hence the difficulty in finding just a barrel @ least that has been my observation . Obviously Apfeltor can do it but you may have to buy a parts gun to get a usable tube . No saying they cant be found ,just that you rarely just a barreled..is typically attached to a receiver..

Isnt that outfit in Germany (SSD..?) remanufacturing G43"s . Might have some luck there ..but probably will be expensive , if even compatiable.

I see that the French parts AASsniper98 site has a G43 barrel listed. I wonder if they are new or originals.

30/06? Could it have been from a Brazilian Model 954 semi auto base design of a German G43 rifle. They are all chambered in 30.06. Or perhaps Norway re barreled G43 like they did with K98's ??

Last edited:
30/06? Could it have been from a Brazilian Model 954 semi auto base design of a German G43 rifle. They are all chambered in 30.06. Or perhaps Norway re barreled G43 like they did with K98's ??

I have a new barrel coming from France in 8mm and will send it off to Apfeltor once it gets here to bring it back to proper caliber and set up. There no marking on the installed barrel right now. It is a little bit fatter so I am thinking that it was done stateside. The barrel doesnt fit right in the stock. The gas block and sight are also custom made to the barrel.

Pressing a G43 barrel is not much more complicated that a M1 Carbine. Just need a press and to manufacture an aluminum jig.

Apfeltor is the way to go in the USA.

I have a new barrel coming from France in 8mm and will send it off to Apfeltor once it gets here to bring it back to proper caliber and set up. There no marking on the installed barrel right now. It is a little bit fatter so I am thinking that it was done stateside. The barrel doesnt fit right in the stock. The gas block and sight are also custom made to the barrel.

Do you have pictures? If your gas block looks like this G43 sitting on the top for comparison)
M954_04-sm.jpg
and the muzzle end of the barrel has ACME-like threads like this
M954_25-sm.jpg
it might be a M954.

Apologies to the moderators for posting pictures of a non-German rifle on the board.

Do you have pictures? If your gas block looks like this G43 sitting on the top for comparison)
View attachment 238904
View attachment 238905
it might be a M954.

Apologies to the moderators for posting pictures of a non-German rifle on the board.

I cant take pictures right now but no. The gas block looks exactly like a regular g43 except the barrel is fatter.

View attachment 238904
View attachment 238905
it might be a M954.

This is definitely an after market barrel. I may have to go with a custom made one as the one I was suppose to get from France, the order was cancelled for lack of stock. But here is the photo that you asked for. This gas block was custom made. The barrel was never "stepped" in the proper G43 contours and it is about 2 inches longer.

Attachments

• gas block.jpg
    gas block.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 21
  • Front barrel.jpg
    Front barrel.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 20
  • front sight.jpg
    front sight.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 21
Front sight also looks custom made (does have the "hunting" sight flair to it but does not look store bought and then modified); whoever did it was not your garden variety bubba but a skilled gunsmith. That is also indicated with the care on the muzzle crown. I do wonder when that was done as the crown looks old school.

The original gas block is nothing to write home about; I even made my own in my 3D printer. In mine the transition between the upper and lower cylinders is smoother than the original. From doing that I think the barrel hole in the gas block is slightly tapered (or at least my caliper said so when I measured one of my spares. I probably should check the barrel diameter before and after the block to be sure).

This is definitely an after market barrel. I may have to go with a custom made one as the one I was suppose to get from France, the order was cancelled for lack of stock. But here is the photo that you asked for. This gas block was custom made. The barrel was never "stepped" in the proper G43 contours and it is about 2 inches longer.

In the old G/K43 forum, there was somebody there claiming to have taken a K98 barrel and milled the threads off to press it into a G43 receiver, drilled a gas hole, fitted a G43 gas block and G43 front sight. It may be an option if you know somebody that can do this kind of machine work.

In the old G/K43 forum, there was somebody there claiming to have taken a K98 barrel and milled the threads off to press it into a G43 receiver, drilled a gas hole, fitted a G43 gas block and G43 front sight. It may be an option if you know somebody that can do this kind of machine work.

Lothar Walther USA is trying to get the original specifications from Lothar Walther Germany and I may go that route. I also thought about buying a lathe and experimenting. I used to do some machining work when I worked in automotive years ago. I am open to every avenue.

Military Rifle Journal
Back