Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G43 barrel

Quote Originally Posted by dalek View Post
    Do you have pictures? If your gas block looks like this G43 sitting on the top for comparison)
    Attachment 238904
    and the muzzle end of the barrel has ACME-like threads like this
    Attachment 238905
    it might be a M954.

Apologies to the moderators for posting pictures of a non-German rifle on the board.
    This is definitely an after market barrel. I may have to go with a custom made one as the one I was suppose to get from France, the order was cancelled for lack of stock. But here is the photo that you asked for. This gas block was custom made. The barrel was never "stepped" in the proper G43 contours and it is about 2 inches longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Front sight also looks custom made (does have the "hunting" sight flair to it but does not look store bought and then modified); whoever did it was not your garden variety bubba but a skilled gunsmith. That is also indicated with the care on the muzzle crown. I do wonder when that was done as the crown looks old school.

The original gas block is nothing to write home about; I even made my own in my 3D printer. In mine the transition between the upper and lower cylinders is smoother than the original. From doing that I think the barrel hole in the gas block is slightly tapered (or at least my caliper said so when I measured one of my spares. I probably should check the barrel diameter before and after the block to be sure).

Quote Originally Posted by daltrey99 View Post
    This is definitely an after market barrel. I may have to go with a custom made one as the one I was suppose to get from France, the order was cancelled for lack of stock. But here is the photo that you asked for. This gas block was custom made. The barrel was never "stepped" in the proper G43 contours and it is about 2 inches longer.
    In the old G/K43 forum, there was somebody there claiming to have taken a K98 barrel and milled the threads off to press it into a G43 receiver, drilled a gas hole, fitted a G43 gas block and G43 front sight. It may be an option if you know somebody that can do this kind of machine work.

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder196 View Post
    In the old G/K43 forum, there was somebody there claiming to have taken a K98 barrel and milled the threads off to press it into a G43 receiver, drilled a gas hole, fitted a G43 gas block and G43 front sight. It may be an option if you know somebody that can do this kind of machine work.
    Lothar Walther USA is trying to get the original specifications from Lothar Walther Germany and I may go that route. I also thought about buying a lathe and experimenting. I used to do some machining work when I worked in automotive years ago. I am open to every avenue.