Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The coolest thing on earth? EM36 rangefinder

Default The coolest thing on earth? EM36 rangefinder

Well maybe not, but it is so fun to play with, look at, and study how intricate this thing is...

now only if I read german, and knew what all these knobs do??

From the limited info on the net, this is an EM36 German WWII military rangefinder, which I think is used for larger guns, like 88's

hopefully someone here knows something, not much info on these on the net

supposedly, this is how it was brought back, I didint get it direct from the vet, but the guy I got it from did and he said the old guy brought it back just like it is...he had two, this one in this case, and another that was alone and apparently not in as good of condition, and some other small stuff...Im going to try to get the vets info

I tend to believe the guy if I trust in what Ive learned from collecting this stuff in general terms...it has been repainted, at least the outside of the harness case and the case for the rangefinder, but it is most certainly old old paint job and definately looks like typical german field gray type paint...the insides of each case are untouched, and all german markings are present and original throughout...the ragefinder itself is painted tan and gray but is most certainly the original paint job, as I can asee bare metal under the paint where it is cracking in spots...also it looks similar to a few others Ive seen in color photos...it is made up of parts dated 1941 to 1943....the harness is complete and also made up of one ordnance tan bracket, and one german gray bracket....so I think it is cool it is kind of like a dual tone!

optics are crispy and clear...too bad though I am too large to strap the harness onto myself I tried...the kit is nearly complete missing the illuminator, and a few other small bits, it comes with some other small bits that I guess are real hard to find, like a handle, a tool, an extra original sling, sunshades, that kind of remind me of ZF4 sunshades

better pics will replace these as I get time and the conditions are right...WAY COOL! Focus my collecting you say?? Im not rich you say?? got to concentrate on one thing??? Huh??? that aint no fun! I couldnt pass on something this weird and cool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by miles136; 04-03-2010 at 12:00 AM.

That is pretty cool...and I admit that I've bought my share of "off topic" items.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Wartime pic

Oh man when can I come over and play with that? German rangefinders were believe it or not very accurate in the pre-laser days. An experienced operator could put rounds dead on the target just as well as those today using lasers and GPS. Only disadvantage was range aquisition time. Kind of like two engineers having a contest with a slide rule and a scientific calculator. Great find Jon! Chris
    "A World With Out String Is Chaos" - Rudolph Schmuntz

Quote Originally Posted by uboat534 View Post
    Oh man when can I come over and play with that? German rangefinders were believe it or not very accurate in the pre-laser days. An experienced operator could put rounds dead on the target just as well as those today using lasers and GPS. Only disadvantage was range aquisition time. Kind of like two engineers having a contest with a slide rule and a scientific calculator. Great find Jon! Chris
    Thanks ....next time you come over we can fool with it...it works really well, I mean optic wise...I havent a clue on how to actually use it

the harness will probably fit you perfectly

Miles, I understand your passion for the unusual! I have the same problem that I like too much of a variety of militaria, from pictures to ordnance! The variety makes it very interesting!

Moderator Of all things K43 Brian Kowalski's Avatar

Why did the German have to make so many cool things????

Forum Newbie

The MG3 illuminator will work on all of the WW2 sights until you can find an original one for your set-up. I was thinking about making a steel battery box so that the new light would not stick out so badly with my mount. RTG gun parts has the MG3 battery box sets for about $35.00.

It looks like the language on the plate is Finnish or Danish. The Finns would have used during the war and both after the war. The plate is not in German. Perhaps you could post some of the printing that is in the lid? I have one of these range finders that I thought was German as it looks just like the German model but carries British markings in English. Perhaps a British Army Copy? Harry

Thumbs up

It is German, but made for another country.
    I have on just like it, but all the markings on mine are in German.
    I also have the shorter version - about 8" shorter - in Lw blue with the leather cover/carrying strap.
    Wish I could find some of the accessories for these!
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens "undocumented immigrants" is like calling drug dealers "unlicensed pharmacists!"
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF