Third Party Press

The coolest thing on earth? EM36 rangefinder

miles136

Well maybe not, but it is so fun to play with, look at, and study how intricate this thing is...

now only if I read german, and knew what all these knobs do??

From the limited info on the net, this is an EM36 German WWII military rangefinder, which I think is used for larger guns, like 88's

hopefully someone here knows something, not much info on these on the net

supposedly, this is how it was brought back, I didint get it direct from the vet, but the guy I got it from did and he said the old guy brought it back just like it is...he had two, this one in this case, and another that was alone and apparently not in as good of condition, and some other small stuff...Im going to try to get the vets info

I tend to believe the guy if I trust in what Ive learned from collecting this stuff in general terms...it has been repainted, at least the outside of the harness case and the case for the rangefinder, but it is most certainly old old paint job and definately looks like typical german field gray type paint...the insides of each case are untouched, and all german markings are present and original throughout...the ragefinder itself is painted tan and gray but is most certainly the original paint job, as I can asee bare metal under the paint where it is cracking in spots...also it looks similar to a few others Ive seen in color photos...it is made up of parts dated 1941 to 1943....the harness is complete and also made up of one ordnance tan bracket, and one german gray bracket....so I think it is cool it is kind of like a dual tone!

optics are crispy and clear...too bad though I am too large to strap the harness onto myself I tried...the kit is nearly complete missing the illuminator, and a few other small bits, it comes with some other small bits that I guess are real hard to find, like a handle, a tool, an extra original sling, sunshades, that kind of remind me of ZF4 sunshades

better pics will replace these as I get time and the conditions are right...WAY COOL! Focus my collecting you say?? Im not rich you say?? got to concentrate on one thing??? Huh??? that aint no fun! I couldnt pass on something this weird and cool

Attachments

• DSC07945.JPG
    DSC07945.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC07948.JPG
    DSC07948.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC07949.JPG
    DSC07949.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC07951.JPG
    DSC07951.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC07952.JPG
    DSC07952.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC07953.JPG
    DSC07953.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC07954.JPG
    DSC07954.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC07960.JPG
    DSC07960.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC07958.JPG
    DSC07958.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC07961.JPG
    DSC07961.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC07962.JPG
    DSC07962.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC07963.JPG
    DSC07963.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC07964.JPG
    DSC07964.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC07965.JPG
    DSC07965.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC07966.JPG
    DSC07966.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC07967.JPG
    DSC07967.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC07969.JPG
    DSC07969.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC07970.JPG
    DSC07970.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC07971.JPG
    DSC07971.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
That is pretty cool...and I admit that I've bought my share of "off topic" items. :)

Wartime pic

Attachments

• Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J08361,_Entfernungsmesser_einer_Vierlings-Flak.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J08361,_Entfernungsmesser_einer_Vierlings-Flak.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 51
Oh man when can I come over and play with that? German rangefinders were believe it or not very accurate in the pre-laser days. An experienced operator could put rounds dead on the target just as well as those today using lasers and GPS. Only disadvantage was range aquisition time. Kind of like two engineers having a contest with a slide rule and a scientific calculator. Great find Jon! Chris

Oh man when can I come over and play with that? German rangefinders were believe it or not very accurate in the pre-laser days. An experienced operator could put rounds dead on the target just as well as those today using lasers and GPS. Only disadvantage was range aquisition time. Kind of like two engineers having a contest with a slide rule and a scientific calculator. Great find Jon! Chris

Thanks ....next time you come over we can fool with it...it works really well, I mean optic wise...I havent a clue on how to actually use it

the harness will probably fit you perfectly

Miles, I understand your passion for the unusual! I have the same problem that I like too much of a variety of militaria, from pictures to ordnance! The variety makes it very interesting!

The MG3 illuminator will work on all of the WW2 sights until you can find an original one for your set-up. I was thinking about making a steel battery box so that the new light would not stick out so badly with my mount. RTG gun parts has the MG3 battery box sets for about $35.00.

It looks like the language on the plate is Finnish or Danish. The Finns would have used during the war and both after the war. The plate is not in German. Perhaps you could post some of the printing that is in the lid? I have one of these range finders that I thought was German as it looks just like the German model but carries British markings in English. Perhaps a British Army Copy? Harry

It is German, but made for another country.
I have on just like it, but all the markings on mine are in German.
I also have the shorter version - about 8" shorter - in Lw blue with the leather cover/carrying strap.
Wish I could find some of the accessories for these!
Sarge

Note that I did not write that it was not German, I noted that the language was not German and that the Germans did supply them to the Finns. The Danish as well as the Norwegian Armies also used after the war. The Russians and at least two other Warsaw pact countries made copies of them as well. Harry

nice to see the complete setup

I have one of those Russian copies, a '3D' with maker date of 1944 and refurb date from 1968. Does not have all the data plates as can be seen on yours, though.

Military Rifle Journal
Back