Third Party Press

Help with a CZ VZ35 air rifle trainer with probable German custom carved stock

45flint

I know this is a little off the wall for this forum but the CZ VZ35 was the military trainer for the VZ24. I am hoping someone here can relate their experience to my recently acquired air rifle. I already researched the serial number to date the rifle as 1939. This was probably produced right after the German occupation of Czechoslovakia. Mine it very unique in that it was fitted with a beautifully carved stock probably of German origins given the carving? After occupation Germany was a major importer of these rifles. I would love any thoughts on the rifle especially origin of the carved stock? I am assuming this may have been a GI bring back? Attached is a link to many pics. Thanks

https://imgur.com/gallery/nOXMHfO

Got to say the rifle itself is in nice condition, but the effort put into the replacement stock is something only the Germans would do! I can't envision this example being a commercial effort, but rather a "one-of" piece. I know after WW2 the Czechs continued to make a somewhat similar rifle (the Vz47). Trust you know not to shoot copper "BBs" in this, as they are too hard on the mechanism, but rather lead balls. My Czech "issue" example was made in 1938 and shoots surprisingly well. I have a paper "tin" of S & B lead balls. However, since they have been knocked around a bit, must examine each and discard any found to be out-of-round.

Last edited:
I cant see the photos but, what has been said is true. I owned both variants at one point. They are an interesting and well built rifle. Similar to the Haenel mod33 air rifle.

Got to say the rifle itself is in nice condition, but the effort put into the replacement stock is something only the Germans would do! I can't envision this example being a commercial effort, but rather a "one-of" piece. I know after WW2 the Czechs continued to make a somewhat similar rifle (the Vz48). Trust you know not to shoot copper "BBs" in this, as they are too hard on the mechanism, but rather lead balls. My Czech "issue" example was made in 1938 and shoots surprisingly well. I have a paper "tin" of S & B lead balls. However, since they have been knocked around a bit, must examine each and discard any found to be out-of-round.

Most think the stock is a one off and German carved given the oak leaves are certainly a German theme of that time. Austria is possible as well, some have said. Yes I know steel BB’s can’t be used. The caliber is pretty unique at 4.45mm. The German Haenels were 4.40mm, H&N in Germany used to make lead balls of all sizes but now they only make “Excites” and they are smaller than 4.40mm though the tin says 4.5. I did find some new old stock H&N copper coated lead balls that were 4.45mm. They work well and looking at recovered shots they are rifled perfectly. I think lead balls coated with copper are fine? To find a carved prewar firearm is a treat but to find one on a air rifle is unheard of. I know of no other example? If only this rifle could talk!

If you know of issues with copper coated lead balls please let me know?

Last edited:
These are the pellets that work the best. They are the correct caliber for the VZ35 (4.45mm) and they are extremely consistent and well made. I recovered pellets and the rifling marks were perfect. They feed very well. They are available from Canada on our EBay site. They are old new stock. It is my understanding that these are no longer made by H&N. I bought a lifetime supply.

2C73E27D-3688-469B-9BB4-6B8DAFA11C28.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back