Third Party Press

Pic Diary of 291st Division in the East

iron bender

750 Press Operator
I've found this extremely interesting. Photo diary of 291 Div, mostly IR506. Of note, the pics from Volchov Forest in June 42 are sickening. Human suffering at it's worst. Also of note is lots of SS camo on army guys. I found it interesting the reverse of the 'Hell' sign is a note from the 17th SS (I assume) as it's labeled to GvB. Anyhow, for what it's worth, some very good photo's of the life of an average German infantryman in the East early in the campaign.....

http://www.allworldwars.com/Photo-Diary-of-the-German-291-Infantry-Division-1941-42-Part-I.html

I found it interesting the reverse of the 'Hell' sign is a note from the 17th SS (I assume) as it's labeled to GvB.

Not SS related. Its a reference to Götz's famous quote ("kiss my a$$") popularised by Goethe's play based on his life. The sign literally says "Here begins the a$$ of the world" and "if you go think of Gotz".

Excellent stuff IB, and it looks like the original writing / captions for the pics were provided. Excellent quality of pics too. Thanks for the link.

Not SS related. Its a reference to Götz's famous quote ("kiss my a$$") popularised by Goethe's play based on his life. The sign literally says "Here begins the a$$ of the world" and "if you go think of Gotz".

I guess this would make sense given the 17th was formed after these pics were taken, and in the West....

Attachments

• VolchovPocket1942-042.jpg
    VolchovPocket1942-042.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back