Third Party Press

Anti-tank rifles

MarkDD

Hi,
I was wondering why we do not see and anti tank rifles on the forum ,what is there status in the USA.
Here in the uk we are allowed them in there original calibre to collect or to shot but only with non anti armour rounds ,we can even have some of them off ticket [boys and T gewer]as they are classed as obsolete calibre but if you want to shot them then they have to go on ticket,7.92mm have to go on ticket, here are a couple of them in a UK club I'd love one but they do not turn up to often for sale.
Mark

Attachments

• ptrd-front2.jpg
    ptrd-front2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 88
  • ptrd-boys-side.jpg
    ptrd-boys-side.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 84
  • boys_1.jpg
    boys_1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 70
  • grb39-front.jpg
    grb39-front.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 72
  • ptrd-left.jpg
    ptrd-left.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 63
  • ptrd-rear2.jpg
    ptrd-rear2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 61
Nice! Thanks for sharing. All I have ever seen in Texas are T-Gewehrs from the Great War. Many have been fired back in the day when ammo was still widely available. Now, they sit in collections, mostly.
I do not think they are classified as a "destructive device" and are treated like any other rifle here in the US.

anti tank rifles

Any caliber larger than .50 is treated as a DD. That's why you see many Boys rifles re-chambered to .50 BMG.
Plus the availability of ammo.

All antitank rifles are legal in the US, provided they are properly registered. Generally, over .50 bore is a DD, and this regulated, but the Mauser M1918 proves that’s not always true. Ammo is unobtainable for a lot of the guns, but the 20mm reloading community is vibrant.

I’m working on a book on the topic as time permits. Children have taken away most of my time. A piece I wrote some time back.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/japanese-type-97-20mm-anti-tank-rifle/

I believe I have posted my Boys (Boyes) rifle and T-Gewehr on this website in the past. Perhaps in the 'off topic section' with a search you should be able to find it.

Sad story is I live in Canada and our Oppressors recently banned the Boys Rifle by name just this last Friday and technically the T-Gewehr would also be banned due to a 20mm diameter bore and it likely produces 10,000+Joules of energy at the barrel.

Previously these were Non-Restricted. My country has really gone to the dogs with our current Prime Minister who happened to be the son of a past Prime Minister who was a Castro Loving fool.

At what point can I claim refugee status as a Political Refugee and move to a country with common sense?

Sorry for the rant, but this New Ban effects many firearms including all AR's, M14 or variants including M1A's, Mini 14's etc. It was made worse as done when our Parliament isn't even sitting and only discussing COViD 19 matters and it was passed by Orders in Council which are equivalent to emergency war measures.

I remember seeing a Boyz rifle up in Ottawa Illinois at Buffalo Rock Shooters Supply years ago. It looked painful even then to shoot? This was way before the .50 BMGs became popular. I believe Sparky's was in the original caliber(.55)?
Steve

The Boys shouldn’t hurt too much. The action actually sits within a springloaded system that permits it to cycle front to back when it’s fired. The M1918 is a bit more hairy in my estimation.

I just bought my old post about shooting my Mauser 13 mm AT up on the other site[Shooting a real mauser],someone cleverer that i may be able to bring it across.

Military Rifle Journal
Back