Third Party Press

FG42 Type I range test

mp43sniper

We were able to get out to the range today and see how the new SMG FG42 type I works in "out of the box" condition. Let me know what you like/don't like about my video so I can keep it in mind for future uploads.

Upcoming videos will include: FG42 cleaning, FG42/MP44 comparison, could the FG42 replace the LMG?, FG42 accuracy. If there's something you'd like to see please comment.

Also, if you like the video please click like and subscribe.

https://youtu.be/OhmVEinZJlQ

And since I couldn't add the picture of the receiver to the video, here it is.

Attachments

• 20200502_210138.jpg
    20200502_210138.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 121
We were able to get out to the range today and see how the new SMG FG42 type I works in "out of the box" condition. Let me know what you like/don't like about my video so I can keep it in mind for future uploads.

Upcoming videos will include: FG42 cleaning, FG42/MP44 comparison, could the FG42 replace the LMG?, FG42 accuracy. If there's something you'd like to see please comment.

Also, if you like the video please click like and subscribe.

https://youtu.be/OhmVEinZJlQ

Nice work - great share!

Great video and thank you for taking the time to do this. Seems like the brass flying out an FG 42 scratches the receiver like it does on an FN FAL. I've seen shooters actually put like blue painter's tape right where the brass ejects out so it doesn't scratch the receiver.

Great video and thank you for taking the time to do this. Seems like the brass flying out an FG 42 scratches the receiver like it does on an FN FAL. I've seen shooters actually put like blue painter's tape right where the brass ejects out so it doesn't scratch the receiver.

Thanks.

The way these cases are hitting (open end first) I can see them cutting through the tape pretty easily. So if you use the blue masking tape, I would definitely layer it up pretty good just for insurance.

Last edited:
Duct tape x2 layers should provide plenty of cushion, and as you said shooting the gun is going to produce wear.

Now you know why the Germans put the brass deflector on the Type II

Yes, it's absolutely my favorite firearm. I know them inside out. Even have a few things not in "Sturmgewehr!".

I'm really hoping to help Rick at SMG produce these next.

Yes!

I want to help Rick and Dingo collaborate on one! Rick stated years ago the stamped metal was his concern. Since we can now get those, it might be time to re-engage!

Nice Video ! Keep em coming. These are helping me decide if I want to take the plunge and buy one. How much was the rifle btw?

If I remember correctly they are 5500. I helped Rick with the project and also bought a type 2. One or both of those may have caused me to receive a slight discount.

I think the wear from the brass gives the FG42 character. On the original you can tell it pings brass in the same place. Almost no finish left in that spot.

Attachments

• ED8729CA-0371-4B08-936A-E11D947659A4.jpg
    ED8729CA-0371-4B08-936A-E11D947659A4.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 72
If I remember correctly they are 5500..

If you purchased in the first 20 rifle batch the cost was 5500.00...but after that the adjusted cost for the base rifle is 5750.00 .

In the first production run they discovered some unforseen costs that surfaced after they went into full production...still a bargain IMO.

Thanks.

The way these cases are hitting (open end first) I can see them cutting through the tape pretty easily. So if you use the blue masking tape, I would definitely layer it up pretty good just for insurance.

Great Vid..very informative.

When you mentioned the brass ejection and the burn spot on your finger I was reminded of the tutorial that Larry Vickers gave us several years ago.. 3:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NstrbkCg_ks

Military Rifle Journal
Back