Third Party Press

PTR44 disconnector broke

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Shooting the PTR this weekend and the rifle stopped functioning (shooting factory loads). So opened it up and the disconnector snapped in two. Has this happened to anyone else that you've seen? Thank goodness Dingo has some in stock for $24, looks like the hard part is going to be installing it since the pins are not exactly user friendly. Pete, you will have some work to do soon.

There you go. Good enough, shite breaks when you use it. Pete did a jam up job on some other stuff on it, might I need to upgrade the recon ord hammer while I’m at it? I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re going to be taking the trigger pack apart you might as well replace all the parts.

Shooting the PTR this weekend and the rifle stopped functioning (shooting factory loads). So opened it up and the disconnector snapped in two. Has this happened to anyone else that you've seen? Thank goodness Dingo has some in stock for $24, looks like the hard part is going to be installing it since the pins are not exactly user friendly. Pete, you will have some work to do soon.

Mine broke at around 425 rounds. I bought both a Dingo supplied one and an original and other than no markings, it was hard to tell the two apart. Still, I had the original installed.

Pete

posted on another forum, this morning

I sent him a e-mail, he has not returned it, also after the shop fire I don't think he is repairing stuff right now

I could be wrong, also I have a set of semi auto internals from recon ( PTR 44) left overs

Pete said they are not heat treated or heat treated properly

Hate to hear that, didn’t know about the fire!

He lost half his shop last July. I was talking to him just this morning. He has some of his equipment back up and running but I have no idea whether or not he's accepting work.

I also spoke with him, he’s doing well - his shop is dried in and he’s starting back to work.

As far as I know, he is not taking new work until he’s full up & finished with work he had before the fire.

I know because I’m sitting on work until he’s ready to go!

mrfarb, I've seen you post for a long time and feel bad you're out of action at the moment. If Pete can't get you fixed up soon I will. Let me see what I have in stock for disconnectors- can't remember if I have originals, PTRs, or Dingos (or all the above). Will check and let you know if you're interested.

I’m interested. If Pete’s bogged down with something that massive there’s no need piling on, it shouldn’t be a difficult job, I just want the pins done right. I’ll pm you. Thanks!

If you’re going to be taking the trigger pack apart you might as well replace all the parts.

That's what I ended up doing as well,mine started doubling because the hammer hooks and sear hooks wore away,found original WWII parts on GB,from Russia of all places,installed them,now she's working great again!

BTW,I already had replaced the Bolt and Bolt carrier a few years ago,broke the ears off,so all important internal parts are now WWII,the parts from SSD are all MIM (metal injection molding)
pure junk.

Last edited:
Pete e-mailed me back this morning. he is getting the shop up and running and he has projects to finish, it would not hurt to e-mail him to see his schedule.

That's what I ended up doing as well,mine started doubling because the hammer hooks and sear hooks wore away,found original WWII parts on GB,from Russia of all places,installed them,now she's working great again!

BTW,I already had replaced the Bolt and Bolt carrier a few years ago,broke the ears off,so all important internal parts are now WWII,the parts from SSD are all MIM (metal injection molding)
pure junk.

The SSD parts are not MIM , but laser cut / milled and hardened steel .

Mine broke at around 425 rounds. I bought both a Dingo supplied one and an original and other than no markings, it was hard to tell the two apart. Still, I had the original installed.

Wilhelm - My disconnector broke somewhere in the 1000-1500 rounds. Fortunately for me, Pete replaced the disconnector and addressed a plethora of other issues a few years back. I was so sorry to hear about his shop earlier. Pete did many improvements and fixes for me including the front sight post, dust cover, lower receiver (the metal grinding issue people had), fitted an original WW2 bolt and carrier, checked chamber reaming, cleaned up the receiver pins, fixed the safety, and fitted some repro mags so they sat higher up in the mag well. Most of my replacement parts were all originals. I didn't have the "break" in the ears that others had on the op rod/bolt carrier assembly, but instead wanted a back up op rod and bolt just in case the SSD ones broke - both sets work great! I also have an original recoil spring, extractor with spring, firing pin, and other spare parts for this rifle, some of them Recon Ordnance, but a few Dingo supplied parts from his web page. I also have a 10 round mag, wood handle covers for the pistol grip and a spare front hand guard I got from Dingo's web site. Of course, let's not forget the ZF4 scope and mount, retro sling, reloading dies, custom presentation box, original WW2 "STG44" marked (expensive as F') magazine - and a F'n partridge in a pear tree. UGH - TOO much $ spent on this thing. Better loosen your wallets if you want to have one of these rifles people.

The SSD parts are not MIM , but laser cut / milled and hardened steel .

Maybe they are now,but on my BD44 from 2010 you can clearly see the molding lines on all the internal parts,had to replace all of them because they either broke or simply wore ot like the hammer and the sear.
And of course no help from SSD!

Maybe they are now,but on my BD44 from 2010 you can clearly see the molding lines on all the internal parts,had to replace all of them because they either broke or simply wore ot like the hammer and the sear.
I dont know about your rifle, but I know how the parts are made now. About not helping, I know that it is not legal to export gun parts from Germany to USA without a loot of paperwork. This is why I tried to help customers in USA with parts before I opened the web shop, this is probably the same with sending parts to Canada to. I am sorry that you had a bead experiences with the SSD then, but I am glad to say that a lot of things have changed since then .

I thought that the PTR44 rifles had to be fitted with a certain number of USA made parts to be legal. And weren't some of those parts the hammer, trigger, sear and disconnector? Can anyone confirm this? If so maybe the blame is being misplaced.

I thought that the PTR44 rifles had to be fitted with a certain number of USA made parts to be legal. And weren't some of those parts the hammer, trigger, sear and disconnector? Can anyone confirm this? If so maybe the blame is being misplaced.

In the US these parts had to be US made,but I'm in Canada and the rifles we got came straight from Germany,fortunately the receiver and trigger group are an exact copy of the original STG44,so all the WWII
parts fit without any handfitting.
Still,its a very expensive rifle now,but at least it's reliable and nothing will break anymore,I hope,because it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Military Rifle Journal
Back