Third Party Press

You guys use Ballistol on collectable German gun stocks?

shame

well now that I am done crying, I gonna pullout my collection and wipe them all down with Ballistol, because I got to make them look pretty, after all what do those guys on that 98k site know

then when I m done with that, Im gonna get out my gallon container of Pecards an treat all my leather, cause my leather has got to look pretty, oh come on who believes it cause's the leather to rot, I made it pretty after all, "its my rifle".

I have and use it a lot. Almost every brand/flavor but only on modern manganese phosphate. Trying to recall if I ever used it on the zinc phosphate Israeli Hi-Powers? I'd have to wonder how it plays with some late finishes, especially the thin wash ones?

FWIW I've been using Strike Hold the last few years. Birthday gift from my younger son.

Last edited:
What about protecting the steel?

I use CLP but wondering what ya'll recommend.

Ballistol is all I use on my K98ks to AR/AKs. Once my big clp bottle is done I likely won’t get more. Is it better than ballistol for rust protection and lube? Probably. But enough to make a difference to me? Nope. Ballistol is plenty good for everything I need across the board plus it’s non-toxic and not harsh on wood or leather. I guess if I sprayed clp on one K98k and Ballistol on another, and tossed them out into the backyard for a couple weeks the Ballistol one may have 5% more rust.

Birchwood/Casey "Sheath" was excellent for metal protection, it was developed to protect salt water fishing gear. I use it on Colt SAA and aside from protection it really makes the old blue and case colors stand up. I never apply it to wood however

Sheath has been replaced by Barricade I believe its similar but has a somewhat different smell so not sure what was changed.

Interesting read here on Ballistol https://www.ballistol-shop.de/History-of-Ballistol:_:86.html I would think today's version is nothing like the original either

I sat next to the Ballistol rep at SOS/NGD. He was a true believer and sold quite a bit. I bought a gallon a couple years ago. Good stuff for sure. I have not used it on K98 stocks but I had some Japanese stocks that kept having mold return. After a white vinegar wipe I wiped with Ballistol and so far no return. I do not get fingerprints on mine unless they are shooters. I wear medical gloves to handle the safe queens.

Ballistol is good but I had some on a deer rifle and it rained. Some light rust formed. I think as long as the weapon is kept in a dry area its GTG.

The shine from Ballistol does not last long at all. I've used it on my rifles but I don't have anything super nice or rare. I would probably just leave the stock as is in your situation.

Military Rifle Journal
Back