Third Party Press

Are these Genuine Single Rune Mausers?

Hello

I am very lucky and have had two single rune mausers offered to me. Both are non matching, rifle 1 has been refinished and re-blued. Rifle 2 is original with sling and is a Russian capture due to the cross and stencil markings on the bolt.

I will attach photos of both, i am learning but just wanted to see what views people have on these rifles and if they are genuine.

Furthermore, does the single rune denote it was contracted rifle by the SS? someone has given me some false information and just need someone to back it up.

Any help is much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 71
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 66
The first one, 5489? Is possibly real, it's in the correct range for an oversize bnz43 rune gun based on the barrel code. The other one, not enough information to know. It takes a lot to buy a Russian capture single rune gun and be right about it, you are correct that the rune indicates manufacture by Steyr for the SS, but the rune isn't a property marking - it was applied to receivers early on to differentiate them from normal Army production when they were assembled, as both Army and SS contract were assembled at the same location and were not supposed to be mixed together. Later the rune only appears on receivers that have waffenamt inspection, again to separate them from army assembled guns at the end of the line.

The first one, 5489? Is possibly real, it's in the correct range for an oversize bnz43 rune gun based on the barrel code. The other one, not enough information to know. It takes a lot to buy a Russian capture single rune gun and be right about it, you are correct that the rune indicates manufacture by Steyr for the SS, but the rune isn't a property marking - it was applied to receivers early on to differentiate them from normal Army production when they were assembled, as both Army and SS contract were assembled at the same location and were not supposed to be mixed together. Later the rune only appears on receivers that have waffenamt inspection, again to separate them from army assembled guns at the end of the line.

I believe the S/N is 7989. So does this mean these were used by the SS or just separate from the army contract but didn't ever get in an SS officers hands?

I believe the S/N is 7989. So does this mean these were used by the SS or just separate from the army contract but didn't ever get in an SS officers hands?

LOL, no, and SS officer would never have been issued a 98k. Maybe Waffen SS, you can't guarantee that it didn't sit in a depot. Its not such a simple subject. The SS contract was intended for the SS, that's all I can guarantee.

LOL, no, and SS officer would never have been issued a 98k. Maybe Waffen SS, you can't guarantee that it didn't sit in a depot. Its not such a simple subject. The SS contract was intended for the SS, that's all I can guarantee.

Sorry I meant an SS solider. But thank you for your help!

Its such a shame that the 'restored' one has been utterly ruined by the stock refinish and metalwork refinish......:facepalm:

Its a bit cheaper than the RC one, but I know who is selling the RC one and that its been up for sale for 4 or 5 months now, so I'm sure a deal could be done on the price.

Being in the UK, are you buying them to go on ticket, or non-shooting collectors ticket?

If the former, I'd be buying the one with looks to be the better shooter.

Both sellers are not far from each other so depending whereabouts in the UK you are you could make arrangements to see both on the same day, once the current conditions are relaxed enough.

Its such a shame that the 'restored' one has been utterly ruined by the stock refinish and metalwork refinish......:facepalm:

Its a bit cheaper than the RC one, but I know who is selling the RC one and that its been up for sale for 4 or 5 months now, so I'm sure a deal could be done on the price.

Being in the UK, are you buying them to go on ticket, or non-shooting collectors ticket?

If the former, I'd be buying the one with looks to be the better shooter.

Both sellers are not far from each other so depending whereabouts in the UK you are you could make arrangements to see both on the same day, once the current conditions are relaxed enough.

It is a shame that it’s been refinished, I’m not sure if it devalues it or not!

Yes if you are in the UK you would have seen these two for sale possibly. The RC one looks more authentic!

I will be putting them on my section 1 ticket for sure, won’t shoot often but possibly once in a blue moon. I’m a collector so I have ones I shoot more then others.

What are your thoughts on how genuine these are?

It is a shame that it’s been refinished, I’m not sure if it devalues it or not!

Very much devalues it, but probably not by as much in the UK as it would do in USA, largely because K98's are much harder to get in UK, and there are much fewer 'collectors' here.
Simon is selling it as a commission sale, so it will depend on how much the actual owner thinks its worth, especially if he was the one that did or commissioned the refurb thinking it would add value...!
The problem with 'Blondie' is if its the original stock and all the stamps have been butchered/removed in the stock refinish, then it's massively devalued it. If there's some evidence left to establish that's its not the original stock, then less so.

Yes if you are in the UK you would have seen these two for sale possibly. The RC one looks more authentic!

I will be putting them on my section 1 ticket for sure, won’t shoot often but possibly once in a blue moon. I’m a collector so I have ones I shoot more then others.

What are your thoughts on how genuine these are?

I'm no where near enough of an expert to give an opinion on how genuine they are.
I had been hoping to get my hands on the RC one to have a close look at it as I was due to visit Chris to pick up some ammo, but the virus situation put paid to that. Like all RC's it all depends how much is miss-matched and been Soviet-ized. Chris (or rather Neil) isn't the best when it comes to doing the ads and photos etc., so looking in person or emailing for additional photos of the important stuff will be the way to go with the RC one if you are located too far away in the UK to visit Chris in person.
Given that they are both the same price, I'd go with the one that has most matching parts and the best barrel/head-space gauging etc.

Go for the one with the best bore because everything else is just cosmetics. They've already been messed with and devalued. That being said they're made up rifles and those parts have been to war if you want to look at it that way and it makes you feel better. Getting anything matching here is nigh on impossible so because all the good stuff over the wateris in the U. S.

Military Rifle Journal
Back