Third Party Press

Sauer CE 42 parts - Cupped buttplate and disassembly disc

Guillaume d'Orange

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum (have introduced myself in the dedicated section) and own a CE 42 Mod 98.
I am cleaning it to extend its lifetime (remove dirt and rust), I know this is a piece of history and won't try to get it look as new.

I have the following questions:

1) I have browsed the forum and found pictures of a 616e, a 8604f and a 2500k : the buttplate seems to be dark grey and I was wondering if Sauer has tinkered with a treatment of the buttplate at that time (blueing or phosphating) which has paled over time or if it is just oxydation of an original white finish. What do you think ?

2) My bolt dissassembly/take-down disc (25mm of diameter) is very rusty: apparently, removing it is a bad idea (I would have liked to clean the inside tube), shall I just clean it with fine steel wool ? Am I right in saying that the original part had a white finish ?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

Guillaume

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum (have introduced myself in the dedicated section) and own a CE 42 Mod 98.
I am cleaning it to extend its lifetime (remove dirt and rust), I know this is a piece of history and won't try to get it look as new.

I have the following questions:

1) I have browsed the forum and found pictures of a 616e, a 8604f and a 2500k : the buttplate seems to be dark grey and I was wondering if Sauer has tinkered with a treatment of the buttplate at that time (blueing or phosphating) which has paled over time or if it is just oxydation of an original white finish. What do you think ?

2) My bolt dissassembly/take-down disc (25mm of diameter) is very rusty: apparently, removing it is a bad idea (I would have liked to clean the inside tube), shall I just clean it with fine steel wool ? Am I right in saying that the original part had a white finish ?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

Guillaume

The butt plates where all shinny steel at one time when manufactured . age over time changes that. unless some dicks with it. I would try using wD40 first with a rag. Let it soak for a while .But remove it from the stock. The Disk I would first try the same WD40. Don't get it on the wood. Remember rust didn't happen over night. it was there at least 75 years. It its really bad than use 0000 steel wool only . Some guys will have different opium's on this. this is mine.
SVW1945

The butt plates where all shinny steel at one time when manufactured . age over time changes that. unless some dicks with it. I would try using wD40 first with a rag. Let it soak for a while .But remove it from the stock. The Disk I would first try the same WD40. Don't get it on the wood. Remember rust didn't happen over night. it was there at least 75 years. It its really bad than use 0000 steel wool only . Some guys will have different opium's on this. this is mine.
SVW1945

Never use steel wool never ever!!!!!!!!!!! do not recommend the use of steel wool on collector firearms, use a coarse cloth with your favorite oil on the metal only. Use fine bronze/brass wool only on tough parts

throw away the steel wool

wd-40 is a penetrate, not a covering oil not a restoration oil,

Thank you gents : I will act with caution.

Coming back to the color of the buttplate, the pics from pzjgr that triggered my question are in this thread:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?35933-Sauer-42-quot-n-quot-Block&highlight=sauer

The plates these of those "n" and "e" block CE 42 rifles look quite dark (almost black) even if they are aged and rusted. Any further thought ?

Regarding the disassembly disc, I may digress, but are there explanations for the different diameters (25mm vs 32 mm) ? Have they been reduced to save steel ?

Regards,

Guillaume

Military Rifle Journal
Back