Third Party Press

Misdirection Turd Auction: 98k byf 44 30280 i

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867610023

I’m on my iPhone but look at the safety. He never addresses it and there are no detail shots of it. It looks unnumbered, which means a replaced part. Plus, obviously it’s not a MO part which is a giveaway right there. Also, the firing pin is not a MO part, but e/26 MB , a closer and better view on a PC would help. The “winner” is already getting hosed if this is the case.

It seems to me, IMHO, what this seller does is find stuff with problems and carnival barks or “restores” things to jack the price way up.

98k byf 44 Mauser1937 ad safety.JPGCapture.JPG98k byf 44 Mauser1937 ad.JPG

Last edited:
Right there what you stated a lot of people don't do that type of research Craig most people see all matching numbers and they assume the rifle is original or they say 135 pictures and think the seller has nothing to hide. What they seem to forget is Mauser oberndorf made about every part in house and hardly subcontracted out anything at all. When I saw that numbered firing pin like that that was a dead giveaway. Plus when I looked at the bolt group and noticed he never showed a good picture of the safety what comes to mind why? I mean you're getting ready to spend almost $3,000 for the most commonly found 98k rifle there better not be any problems with it but like most bidders they don't care they want it now and will throw money at it.

Given the amount of pictures he always provides on his listings, if something important is not shown clearly it would be a huge red flag. I also think the price is insane for a byf44 in that condition even if everything is alright.

Current thread

Decent 'i' block with alot of patina and spotting.
He is overpriced by at least 500-600. Firing pin is likely correct as numbers look spot on.

Would love to dig and find out where he is geeing these and purchase price.
I know the Sauer 'G' date came from east coast auction house.

Likely most of his offerings are auction buys.

Oh yes, forgot to mention the lack of closeup image of the un-numbered safety. Wonder why...just a distant
image of the side that should be numbered. A convenient omission.

B.

I’m no expert but the numbers stamped on the barrel band look fresher than the patina and wear. Is it wrong or have you guys just made me paranoid ? Ha!

Really nice example other than the safety. The "seldomly seen MI proofed bolt" (as only seen on 90% or so of byf44's) definitely makes it worth the asking price.

Decent 'i' block with alot of patina and spotting.
He is overpriced by at least 500-600. Firing pin is likely correct as numbers look spot on.

Would love to dig and find out where he is geeing these and purchase price.
I know the Sauer 'G' date came from east coast auction house.

Likely most of his offerings are auction buys.

Oh yes, forgot to mention the lack of closeup image of the un-numbered safety. Wonder why...just a distant
image of the side that should be numbered. A convenient omission.

B.

I do note that the ar FP has reject marks on it and ar stopped production in 1944. Perhaps a part finished by MO? The safety is definitely replaced and we get detailed shots of everything but that......

At the risk of sounding stupid here as I am not a MO expert. The rear band looks numbered on the bottom edge. Most MO rear bands in the I block were numbered in the middle like the other MO numbered ones I thought. The numbers look OK, I just had a question on the location. I even looked it up in the book and did not see a MO numbered in that location on rear band. I'm guessing it does not matter. What do you think?

Edit: OK, I went through all my pictures and I found another one numbered on the rear band like this one. So, I think it is OK.

Last edited:
Check this one out this 1939 27 set unsold for the price tag of $1650. It was one of the 1960s import rifles with the Germany stamp on the receiver. A decent entry rifle.

Unfortunately this a$$ clown got this rifle and now has an opening bid of $2900 and a buy now for $3500. Looks like he bought this rifle after the auction ended. Yeah these are not the folks you want to deal with.

Attachments

• pix860482752.jpg
    pix860482752.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 32
  • pix249319649.jpg
    pix249319649.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 27
  • pix407780340.jpg
    pix407780340.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 36
  • pix552835879.jpg
    pix552835879.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 43
  • pix420806872.jpg
    pix420806872.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 46
  • pix340810428.jpg
    pix340810428.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 50
You know, and I know, what this seller is, and is not.

All you can do is put his offerings under a strong light, and let the fool who will not listen / learn, suffer the consequences.....

IMO this byf 44 i block with an unnumbered safety puts the value at closer to $1,600. This means he has overpriced it by around $1K and most who would buy it would assume that it was "all matching". Safeties are likely the most fragile part on the 98k. Regardless, losing a numbered safety on this rifle is a big blow in terms of value.

What is ment by MO and MI?

MO = Mauser Oberndorf, i.e., S/42 and 42 and byf and svw codes.

MI = the stamp on parts produced by FN or a subsidiary in occupied Belgium. I do not know or have forgotten what the letters mean, but they are found on these e/140 inspected bolt parts.

IMO this byf 44 i block with an unnumbered safety puts the value at closer to $1,600. This means he has overpriced it by around $1K and most who would buy it would assume that it was "all matching". Safeties are likely the most fragile part on the 98k. Regardless, losing a numbered safety on this rifle is a big blow in terms of value.

What you said. IMHO he knows it is supposed to match and likely played that mismatch card to get it cheaper, likely on Gunbonker, but now it’s “all matching” and “original”. I’ve noticed that the things he sells have defects you have to really search for. At least the pics are there to show. However, in almost 150 pics, conspicuously absent is one of the area of the safety where the serial should be. That, IMHO, is intentional. This isn’t as bad as the Mauser stocked bnz 45, but it should be disclosed. Some poor fish is going to get stuck with it at $2500+, and one day post it and get the bad news. He’ll then blame the hobby.

Yep.

Do the bidders look like those who would swing for the fence on this? Last win was a $99 sharpened M1 bayonet?

Military Rifle Journal
Back