Third Party Press

Simson Kar98a muzzle cover

Warrior1354

ax - hole
I tried so hard to win this muzzle cover not just because I like Simson stuff but have never seen one for sale before. Someone bought it at the last second of the auction. But at least we have the pictures for the data.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 56
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 67
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 64
Hard cover to find in general, but Simson?! How much did it go for? Maybe Chris got it?

Around $175. I was trying to punch in the number at $225 and and before I could, it was already gone the guy went to the last second of the auction.

Not common but neither are they all that rare. I think $175 too much personally and $225 really out there. That kind of money it should Imperial, mfg marked and preferably unit marked to a cool outfit.

Still if you have a nice Republican era 98a it might be worth the stretch, looks pretty nice.

I'll be honest I don't find many Imperial 98a covers Paul I own a few and I got lucky to have the ones I have! Now when I do find them for sale I try to get them for good prices but that normally doesn't happen

I am sure things have probably changed, I do not follow auctions and such, ebay use to be a good hunting ground in the 1990's for them, but I have owned a lot of MC's and at one point had so many I traded some (98a lids) for a rifle. One persons experience does not constitute a fact, -something seemingly forgotten by the media and politicians - and such things are often products of isolated opportunities. Imperial rifles and accessories have become more popular over the last decade or two and sometimes I do not consider this when reflecting on items spoken of today.

..Imperial rifles and accessories have become more popular over the last decade or two

Good to see you on. I would agree and add I believe the interwar stuff is also on the uptick. Czech stuff especially early and unmessed with or German mod rifles seem to be pulling money. Mostly legit auctions IMHO. German interwar rifles seem to come up less often.

I wish I can find more German interwar items HM really I do. Anytime I find a nice 98m I really do try to get it I find those so interesting and I only own one example.

Thanks H-M; I agree the Republican era has been attracting some attention and is as popular as it has ever been, but still is the ugly stepchild of the hobby, this is as much to do with ignorance as any other reason, but all the visions of it being the big sleeper of the hobby has never been realized. Mark Wieringa once wrote that it is the best field for opportunities and he was correct in the rarity of high end rifles and accessories and surprising low cost of building a respectable collection, but even in the 1980's and 1990's people weren't big readers and few really involved themselves in any sort of "research" (difficult then w/o the internet... collaboration and gunshow recordings are poor substitutes for forums and "poaching" on-line auction data...) and few really have studied 1919-1933, - and w/o movies to spur the shallow masses in interest, fat chance demand will ever really grow to the levels of war eras. While instrumental to German developments that made the astonishing victories of 1940 possible (France 1940 is possibly the most spectacular campaign in modern military history, it boggles the mind what Germany accomplished in a few weeks...), few really appreciate such facts when collecting, most are more moved by "Stalingrad" or Kursk which neither really compare to the victory over France (and the first class German Army which was seriously compromised by November 1942), - Stalingrad losses were a bad few weeks in 1944-1945 for the Germans...

I'll be honest my one Gew98m is one of my favorite Mausers in my collection. There is just so much unknown about that rifle and I love that cool factor. And Paul I would agree the Weimer era has been getting some attention. I was trying to win a B.S marked Gew98m off Proxibid a few months ago. It went for very big money. It does seem harder to find a nice Gew98m for a reasonable price sometimes, but you still can find them. Like you said it's the stepchild of German rifle collecting. It's not Imperial and it's not Nazi but it is the era that shaped what Germany was going to become and what things were going to led too.

I'll be honest my one Gew98m is one of my favorite Mausers in my collection. There is just so much unknown about that rifle and I love that cool factor. And Paul I would agree the Weimer era has been getting some attention. I was trying to win a B.S marked Gew98m off Proxibid a few months ago. It went for very big money. It does seem harder to find a nice Gew98m for a reasonable price sometimes, but you still can find them. Like you said it's the stepchild of German rifle collecting. It's not Imperial and it's not Nazi but it is the era that shaped what Germany was going to become and what things were going to led too.
Yeah, it really is a cool era. It's not my primary focus--mainly due to lack of nice available inventory, but certainly a very enthusiastic sidebar. I started with just a Cassel rebuild many moons ago and I blame Paul (in a good way!) for kindling my interests from there. I'm up to about a dozen Republican pieces now, which wouldn't be a "big" k98k collection, but pretty advanced in this era.

I really hope you get the one we discussed last night. Really liked it! That one on proxibid a while back was a travesty costwise, but these do have the potential to escalate quickly if you get a few Republican collectors who really want it. Given the rarity, and the folks into this era seem to be more educated (and perhaps have more disposable income), I could see a perfect storm. It's inconsistent though. I've also seen these sit untouched on GunBroker and can be snagged for $5-600. I do see the later reworks with WaA and Third Reich stamps going higher and I'm assuming that's a byproduct of the (stupidly) hot k98k market.

As far as muzzle covers, they seem to be all over the place. I've found nice gew98/98a ones in parts bins for $25 and ones on eBay going for $1-200. I have seen Simsons once or twice.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back