Third Party Press

Experience With Local Gun Shows?

as524531

Just wondering what kind of experience you all have had with trying to find nice examples at local gun shows? I'm currently in the process of researching and purchasing my first K98k and was curious. (Not that there's going to be too many shows with the whole pandemic thing, but I just wanted to ask)

Most likely you will be disappointed. It has been years since I went to a local show but when I did, I thought I was at a flea market! T-shirt jewelry, jerky and other non firearms related items. Just my experience but others my have different views.

Couldn't tell you, haven't been to one in about 15 years. However, if I ever need glass unicorns, my glasses cleaned, deer jerky, candles, and plastic things to hang off of an AR to make it ridiculous, I know where to go.

Couldn't tell you, haven't been to one in about 15 years. However, if I ever need glass unicorns, my glasses cleaned, deer jerky, candles, and plastic things to hang off of an AR to make it ridiculous, I know where to go.

:laugh: My wife enjoys going to shows because she can get new Scentsy candle stuff lol.

As far as finding much, I've only been to a few shows really. I'm in a somewhat small town and a lot of near by shows are in even smaller towns. So the chances of finding even milsurps are low. There are always a few, but a lot of Mosins or chopped up stuff. The chances of finding a matching K98 are slim to none.

And like Ham said, it's always AR15 and other plastic crap. My eyes scan for the wood lol. The full wood that extends the barrel haha.

Gunshows have devolved into a shitty free-for-all flea market akin more to garage-sales than a gunshow. I see more gas-station knives, knitted goods, rocks and essential oils, vhs collections, cookies and brownies, and all sorts of other crap than guns. The few guns that are there are cut up 80's deer-rifles or there's some guy selling mixed brass for the price of gold.

I kinda think you should go as you never know. But, you only need to go once every 3-4 years because the stuff is basically the same for about 1-2 years in a row. I’ve bought a few random good guns at local shows, but limit my show to the sos every year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K98s are few and far between at my local shows, and the ones that do show up are either over-priced or have significant issues or both. Although I did pick up a pretty decent bringback BCD42 early this year at a tiny local show for a good price. So as always, there are occasional exceptions. As much as shows in general have devolved in recent years, if you don't go, you'll never know what you might have missed.

Yes it is tough to find a good k98 at a local show but you never know. I have found several things that were a thousand dollars undervalued and lots of things to make 100 to 500 dollars on. Bit it is about every fourth one that is a money maker. Seldom do you go and don’t find anything worth buying. If you are just looking for a k98 it maybe a long time before you get one. The chase is always the best part. My thoughts anyway! Larry

If you eat enough oysters you are going to find a pearl at some point, or get hepatitis, maybe both.

All said, I think if you have the time to go you should go. When I was young, in my teens into my 30s I never missed a show, usually setting up at them, the big ones too. Now, I never make one. I've reached a point where my collection is ok where it is, any of the few things I'm looking for are not likely to be found at a any show here.

It seems that weekend shows consisting entirely of new production firearms and vendors selling jerky, low quality reproduction swords, fantasy weapons and other non collectable junk are a thing the country over. Even the twice a year HGCA show in my area has been a nonevent for at least the past five years. Tulsa is now the only show I plan to attend for the foreseeable future. I would love to attend the SOS, but going all the way to Louisville would certainly mean having to purchase something to justify it.

The only military surplus I've bought at a show is a decent No.4 Mk.1, matching minus mag. And funny enough, it wasn't from the ancient private sellers who know what they got, it was from a milsurp firearm retailer who I could have just visited the storefront of to purchase but happened upon it at the gunshow.

Private sales are usually the best, but gunshows probably aren't as rife with private sales (of guns) as they used to be. But, minus the entry fee, it doesn't hurt to go.

Well, my gun show experience is all derived from Upstate New York. My tri-county area featured a "collector's association" that ran a show circuit. The same rifles would float around for years. Mostly Japanese stuff, Savage 99s, and an assortment of milsurp in rougher than average condition. The beef on weck was usually fantastic. Go for the people watching and food. Let anything after that be a happy accident.

Shows are like hitting the lottery. Sometimes you get lucky most of the time you don't. The cards were in my favor at my local shows in 2019, I picked up three matching original k98s: duv 41, dou 44, and S/147 1938. This year 2020 before the crap hit the fan I found a ce 44. Hopefully my luck will continue!! :)~

Well, my gun show experience is all derived from Upstate New York. My tri-county area featured a "collector's association" that ran a show circuit. The same rifles would float around for years. Mostly Japanese stuff, Savage 99s, and an assortment of milsurp in rougher than average condition. The beef on weck was usually fantastic. Go for the people watching and food. Let anything after that be a happy accident.

Where abouts in NY?

I do my Japanese display alot in Syracuse and Rochester, so maybe that's the Japanese stuff you always see? Haha!

Attachments

• 71084386_2466738570230896_5746614779749859328_n.jpg
    71084386_2466738570230896_5746614779749859328_n.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 46
Where abouts in NY?

I do my Japanese display alot in Syracuse and Rochester, so maybe that's the Japanese stuff you always see? Haha!

I have been going to the Syracuse NY show for a few years now. I remember your tables, I'll have to stop and say hi if they have the September show.
I have found a few rifles that I thought were decent and fairly priced, nothing full matching. Winchester P14, No4 Mk1, K98k 1939 147 bolt and stock mismatched. I see too many CMP M1 Garands for about $1400 at the shows. It amazes me when I see someone walk out with one.
I'm hoping to go to the York, PA show in September if they have it. It's a reason to get out of the house and pickup some pickles or jerky.

Where abouts in NY?

I was born and raised in Niagara county. I think it was the Niagra County Collector's Association (or something like that) that ran the shows. They hosted a few in Oleans county too if my memory serves. It was an older husband and wife that had the Japanese stuff. Only went to one Syracuse show when I lived there. Don't remember a Japanese booth...just getting a pocket knife!

I only attend collector gunshows antique and military shows here in Florida, plenty of goodies to be had. I do not attend the massive funshows, mix of junk and non firearms related items.
I would look for a collector clubs, there are plenty around and they will come back. Even if you got to drive to the next state, you want to look at as many rifles that are there. You are there to learn,
note: the wood condition m color & smell, smell for cold blue, look at repro junk so you know the difference

its not about buying, its about learning. plenty to buy. the rifle you want is out there. You are just not ready for it.

I am thinking about going to one of the big Tulsa, OK shows when they start up again. Next one I saw is slated for November.

Military Rifle Journal
Back