Third Party Press

Experience With Local Gun Shows?

10+ years ago I saw a 2 table display by a “real” k98k collector, wasn’t selling, just display. He wasn’t very talkative, but had nice rifles. Haven’t seen him since.!

That "real" K98k collector would have been Craig Brown. He passed away in 2016

Here in Denver we have a big show that happens way too often (once to twice a month). Very little to see there in the way of nice Mausers, but there is quite a bit of the modern stuff, desperate people selling AR parts, essential oils, and CBD products.

There are a few local shows in the cities around us (annual shows at the shooting clubs) that occasionally turn up real gems. I recently found an Israeli training Mauser that way that for a very good price.

The place where I’ve found my best deals on Mausers and other old military firearms is at a few of my local gun shops. One of the shops specializes in new plasticky pistols, and last year I found two matching K98k bringbacks there for a small fraction of their worth. I have a second shop that I frequent where the new owner let all of the old, experienced help go and replaced them with young guys who don’t know what the old stuff is worth. I get great deals there on P.38 pistols, the occasional K98k, and most recently a late war, all-matching Arisaka (with intact mum) for a ridiculously low price. It certainly pays to make the rounds from time to time at your local shops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been pretty lucky here in the NE corner of Indiana, several good smaller shows in the area and I always seem to find something to make the trip worth it. My all matching CE 42 K98k came from a local show. I've also found a FN made Venezuelan mauser carbine, matching original '42 91/30, Husqvarna M38, all matching non-refurb Tula SKS, all matching original Yugo Model 24 mauser, along with a few other nice milsurps. I've also found some real nice bayonets, slings and other accessories. Like others have already said, it's also a great learning experience to see what milsurps are available, prices, bubba'd or not, etc.

Some of the stuff I see for sale at a gun show is weird though, Lego toys, purses, so many pocket knives and always some display about rain gutters or roofing or some shite. Save your sales pitch, I'm here for the old rifles.

I consider the time and money spent going to my local shows like going to a movie, bowling or have a beer at a pub, although I consider spending a couple hours hunting and picking through the tables and BSing about guns far more enjoyable and money better spent than any of those other things.

When I go to a show, I enter with VERY low expectations.
However, there have been just enough good finds over time to keep alive the old "Hope springs eternal".

As a rule, i'm attending a show to look for odds and ends, parts, holsters, etc.
IF I encounter a nice quality gun find, it's gravy.

Shows in Texas have become such a chronic disappointment, I no longer bother going.

It's simply a waste of time and money.

There are 2 militaria shows I still go to, but neither permit guns.

Shows in Texas have become such a chronic disappointment, I no longer bother going.

Yes, you would think that Texas shows would be great but that not is not the case. When I was living in Wichita for a couple of years I found better ww2 and earlier firearms and related militaria at the shows there. I can’t explain but it’s the truth.

Yes, you would think that Texas shows would be great but that not is not the case. When I was living in Wichita for a couple of years I found better ww2 and earlier firearms and related militaria at the shows there. I can’t explain but it’s the truth.

All of the 98k's got chopped up into hunting guns, or whatever. I rarely find them here, most I find come from out of state.

We used to go to the Texas shows because ours were so bad back then ;)

That "real" K98k collector would have been Craig Brown. He passed away in 2016

Mr. Brown knew how to do it; get a table, set up a fine display, know what you have and be ready to answer the questions. The treasures will come to you. I would go to the NH shows just to see what he had on display and hang around with him.
Since his passing, the quality of the shows has really declined. As others have stated, vendors selling jerky, handbags, even metal roofing! One guy was trying hard to sell me beard oil! I said thanks but Hoppes #9 works just as well.

I have had some luck at the shows and I'm very happy for what I have found like the 1904 Danzig Gew98, 1939 660 Polish crest 29/40, Winchester 1917, etc.

But there is one that stands out of all of them and that was my 1939 337 K98k. And it was found at the 1500 gun and knife show. More or less get your Glock worked on, fudge vendors, pillow dude, jewelry, and other crap show.

Here's the link of the whole story but that one is still my favorite. I'm just glad the dealers there had no clue how special that rifle was. If it had been for sale at the OGCA or SOS show it would have been gone during setup. As others have said the best stuff is gone during setup. And boy do dealers get pissed if your table helper and you buy the rifle before they look at it. Or someone walks in the door after your coming out of the bathroom and you buy the rifle before they do. I had one dealer try to push me out of the way and had the rifle in my hand. He felt like it belonged to him because he was a dealer. Yeah there was so choice words from me to that guy.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?30096-337-1939-scored-today

The past couple years I’ve found some decent rifles at shows. Nothing German unfortunately but some solid milsurp rifles come to mind. A nice 98% Argentine 1909 rifle for cheap, a nice mummed Tokyo arsenal T38 rifle that was nearly original matching and a 1918 LSA SMLE. But for the most part my local shows are a dearth of anything decent. I saw a humped 98k back in 2018 but nothing else German of note. I do miss the days when Craig Brown would bring displays to the Bangor show.

Last edited:
The past couple years I’ve found some decent rifles at shows. Nothing German unfortunately but some solid milsurp rifles come to mind. A nice 98% Argentine 1909 rifle for cheap, a nice mummed Tokyo arsenal T38 rifle that was nearly original matching and a 1918 LSA SMLE. But for the most part my local shows are a dearth of anything decent. I saw a humped 98k back in 2018 but nothing else German of note. I do miss the days when Craig Brown would bring displays too the Bangor show.

I miss Craig's displays as well, was enjoyed to see what he would bring to the SOS show every year. There are deals to be had at the shows but it's alot tougher nowadays. And trust me those dealers do now what you get a good rifle that walks in. Some feel that since they are set up at the show they have all rights to what ever walks in.

I ALWAYS look for the mom and pop tables also what folks carry into the show.
That method has turned up some nice items.

SOS is a must go. Having a table and getting a jump on the public, plus knowing so many who go, makes it almost always very worthwhile, not to mention the socialization. Networking works.

A couple of our local shows are often fruitful. The SC collector show in Greenville is good. Again, knowing so many who set up and many who just attend helps. I suspect I have bought at least a hundred good WW2 firearms within 60 miles of home.

It is like fishing, the more you toss your line in the water the more you catch. The number of fish is less over the years though and the sharks are more numerous.

The Greenville show is a great show. I go there a lot and we probably walked by each other and didn't know :googlie The show in Fletcher, NC is nice as well.

That show is OK and once was in the Asheville civic center. It was run by a friend's dad, a gunsmith, for many years. I found so many goodies in there I can not count them. I got my first G43 there in the 80s for $185, all matching, had marks from having a scope mount on it. Could have gotten a Liberator NIB and complete with the stuff and box for $200. Stupid me passed.

Military Rifle Journal
Back