Third Party Press

Fired one shot - Bolt jammed shut, will not cycle.

I have a 1939 Sporterized Mauser K98 (I bought it sporterized). The rifle came with a Timony action/trigger (jeweled.) I've never had a problem firing it before. But, this last time I fired a shot, and the bolt only rotates about 1/3 to 1/2 way up, and is stuck. I tried putting a cleaning rod down the barrel, and pushing the brass back, but nothing.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20160303_194220.jpg
    20160303_194220.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Can't rotate the bolt clear up? May need a rubber mallet or plastic dead blow. Once you get the action open and remove the brass, inspect and post on your findings.
What ammo were you using?

Thanx Bunches Moconfed

Welp, I took a 2x4 and tapped the handle and it flipped open. So, thank you Moconfed for your advice. I was actually surprised it opened on the first try. Please see picture for ammo used.

Attachments

• Disassembled 1.jpg
    Disassembled 1.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Disassembled 2.jpg
    Disassembled 2.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 59
  • Jammed Round.jpg
    Jammed Round.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 54
Most likely the case expanded, I have had this happen before, even with quality match rounds. However, lower quality ammunition will case often cause a failure to feed, fire, and/or extract.

Most likely its that steel case ammo. Try again with brass case ammo and post up if it solves the problem

Also make certain that little allen head set screw
on the front of the trigger is snug but not overly tight.

Most likely its that steel case ammo. Try again with brass case ammo and post up if it solves the problem

Yes, most likely THAT steel case ammo in particular. It looks to be some of that notorious Romanian SADU 13 headstamp stuff. Numerous posts on this stuff a few years ago. It's not the same as the surplus Romanian steel case ammo that was imported prior. This ammo keeps getting repackaged and sold by different vendors. It seems to be out of dimensional specifications. Non of it would even chamber in ANY of my 7.92 rifles. As mentioned try some different ammo.

Military Rifle Journal
Back